Hi Diana,

I studied at the University of Granada's Centro for Lenguas Modernas a while ago...yikes, actually in 1993! I loved it and have been back many times to visit. I went through the University of Connecticut/University of New Hampshire/Univ of Rhode Island program (called CUNI--Consorcio Universitario de Nueva Inglaterra), so my classes were with all Americans, but we lived with Spanish families and were the only English speakers in the home. We also made Spanish friends, and rarely hung out with large groups of English-speakers.

Granada was a great place to go because, in general, you don't find as many English speakers in your day to day routine than you would in say, Madrid, Barcelona, or Sevilla, so it forces you to use your Spanish. The classes were not easy, but not the hardest I've ever taken either, and were taught by University of Granada professors who then came over to our facultad to teach us, not Americans. The most important part of studying abroad, in my opinion, is not necessarily the classes, but the overall cultural experience you have there, which includes going out and meeting Spanish people and experiencing their traditions.

I would highly recommend Granada because it is a smaller city that you can get to know fairly easily, use your Spanish and see the beautiful sites! I'd also recommend, if you are going through a program, to stay with a Spanish family and make sure that you'll be the only English speaker in the home, which again forces you to speak Spanish.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time and buen viaje!!

GranadaGirl