I just returned from Madrid where I studied for a week at Academia Contacto .

I picked this school because it allowed students who could only stay for a week. My boss wouldn't let me take any more time off than that, so I needed a one week course. Also, it is located across from the Plaza Mayor and down the street from the Puerta del Sol.

The most important reason why I picked this school is because the website indicates that, everyday, the class and the teacher go to lunch together and that there were fun activities planned throughout the week. I emailed the school director and was told that there were 3 to 4 activities planned per week. Plus, on the first day, new students take a walking tour of Madrid.

Since I only had a week in Madrid and since I was going by myself, I thought that it would be fun to meet other students, go out to lunch with them, and attend activities. More importantly, I always wanted to learn Spanish.

However, when I arrived, it turned out that I was the only new student and that I was the only beginner. I was given private lessons for two hours a day. I was aware of the policy from the website, but I was very disappointed to not be in a group.

I asked a student on that day about the group lunches and activities. He didn't know about going out to lunch with the class and teacher as it had never happened with his class. Also, the previous week, there was only one activity. The week I was there, there was only one activity on Saturday when I was returning. There was no mention of a walking tour for the new students.

The school itself has a nice facility. There are two computers that you can use before or after class. The school director was very nice and eager to please.

My teacher was very good and very fun to work with. The lessons covered a good deal of material. To be honest, it would have been more helpful if the lessons covered more basic information such as ordering in restaurants or buying something from the store instead of learning a lot of verbs. I did ask if we could cover that material, but we didn't get to it until the last day. I thought at the time that nothing was getting through to me, but I found myself typing something in Spanish, so I must have learned.

In summary, I am sure that the experience would have been different if I was in a class. I am disappointed that the group lunches and activities were not a reality as promised on the website. However, it was a good experience and I learned something.