Here is my situation:
I am only 17. But taking almost 9 years of Spanish (it is required from 4th grade in my state) will do something to you: make you have an uncontrollable urge to live in Spain, love Spain, be obsessed with Spain. wink
So basically, I've read on here of the "horrors" of applying for permits, how long it takes, and people contemplating living there illegally. But, I do not want to live there illegally. I wish to use my state college's Study Abroad program to study in Spain from about my sophomore year in college through my senior year at least one semester per year. After that, I wish to get a (work permit? I'm not sure which permit I'm looking for) to work and live in Spain.
Since I'm only 17, I figure I can figure the process out now so I'll be prepared and I can apply early enough later on.
I've heard it takes months to get a work permit and you must have a solid job contract. So finally, my question is this: What are the chances of an employer telling a US citizen, yes I have a job, sure I'll wait 5 months. It seems to me such a situation would end up with the employer giving away the job to a ready Spanish citizen.
Any thoughts on how to get a job offer and work/live in spain legally? Would it be easiest to find a more-available job, work for a while and change jobs? Or would I need to get a new permit if I changed jobs once I'm over there? Thanks.