After reading a few other threads, the question (more of a concern) came to me about how difficult it really is to get a work visa to work in Spain as a US citizen. I have been strongly considering moving there next year (springtime) but by what I've been reading I guess it could be longer. I saw in one thread that MadridMan has been working on this for nearly 7 years if I'm not mistaken.

What is the most difficult part about getting the visa? Once you land a job in Spain, isn't that enough? Or is landing the job the most difficult part? If so, I'm sure the field of work you choose and the demand for people to fill those positions would be a factor. Any ideas on what the demand is for IT professionals? That is my field here in the US, but I am concerned with my ability to perform it there based upon my current fluency in Spanish. I have been studying for a while and have learned a lot, but I do not consider myself fluent yet.

I was doing some research on visas and I noticed that there is a "self-employed" type visa. How hard are those to obtain? I am wondering if obtaining one of those would be enough to start living there while remotely working for a US company (working remotely is an option in the IT field obviously). Once there and working, it would only be a matter of time before you could find and transition to a local company I would imagine.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

-Loc