Segoviana, the Hostal Lisboa website, while stylishly designed with Java Applets, Flash, and Shockwave technologies, isn't well constructed. You FIRST go to their entry page and watch a nice, little FLASH "movie" about the hostel and Madrid. Then it automatically goes to the main ENTRY page where you choose your language. You see "ENTRAR" below the waving Spanish flag and "ENTER" below the England flag. MY first instinct was (and I did this several times before figuring it out) to click on the waving flag, but I just got a pop-up describing the java applet used to make that darn flag wave! rolleyes I finally figured out that you have to click on the WORD below, "ENTRAR" or "ENTER". When you click on ENTER (for example), it launches a new, FULL screen.. but it's not a browser window so there's no address, no "add to favorites" menu at top, nor can you exit out of it! In fact, you're stuck unless you know how to close it through your task bar at the bottom of your PC screen. ALSO, it's "optimized" (I hate this word in PC-speak.. kind of an oxymoron if you ask me) for 800 X 600 resolution. This means that if you have a crummy monitor or NEED your icons/text BIG for whatever reason and you have your settings at 640 X 480 resolution you're sunk.. you can only see HALF the Hostal Lisboa screen because everything's so BIG! Well, here's the direct link to that page without an address bar: http://www.hostallisboa.com/Hostal_lisboa_eng/index3.htm . Click THIS and you'll get the page in a browser window and you can then save it to your FAVORITES.

So anyway, you get to that page, you look at the Madrid city photos, the services, the prices, and then when you click on the RESERVE button below, the telephone number magically comes up from below. Then you notice a "broken" graphic below that RESERVE button. Curious, you click the mystery graphic and VOILA! You've launched your email program and it's ready to send an email to the fine people at Hostal Lisboa.

So there you go! How's that for a step-by-step on how to use this hostel's website!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog