I learned a long time ago that most hostels don't like to make reservations more than 2 months in advance because of the liklihood that the patrons will cancel or just not show up. I'm not at all surprised your husband was "lectured" by the woman on the line (probably the mother of the hostel - who always speaks her mind). Remember, these are real people and hard-working people too. They aren't the corporate types and detail-oriented professionals that you'll find at hotels. These are real people with real emotions and real opinions. You won't get "Yes Sir. No Sir" from hostel owners.

I know every member of the López family and they are truly special, sweet, kind, hard-working people doing a 24/7 job with no vacations, nighly interruptions by the bell, phone calls, and rarely able to sit down to a meal with all members in attendance.

Also, hostels don't like to rent rooms for more than 2-weeks. In fact, I'd agree with them. An apartment would probably be MUCH cheaper and much more comfortable for you both. With an apartment you'd have a kitchen, more space, AND you'd save money! Have you looked through the postings in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum about available apartments (I wonder if GoMadrid's apartment has already been rented). I also posted a link to a Madrid apartment I found by chance on the internet.

Best of luck in your search and enjoy your time in Madrid in July! It'll be HOT! :o

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog