Cali, the basque parlament may pass any laws, except those incompatible with our constitution. Autonomy doesn't mean that you can pass a law, for example, that would allow men to physically punish women, or that would send blacks to jail, or, in this case, that would modify our own state. As far as I know, a US state could not pass a law for which it would get independent, nor could it pass a law clearly against US consitution, couldn't it?

Wolf, I didn't understand your point. Spain has been a unique country for 500 years (with a brief period of three years in the XVIIIth century in which Catalonia got independent). It can't be compared to UK.

Our autonomies are much more independent, and our country much more decentralized than UK. Northern Ireland and Scotland hadn't an own parlament until some years ago. The Madrid government didn't impose anything. We as spaniards decided that the best frame to live together was the state of the autonomies in 1978. People voted in a free referendum what kind of state they wanted.

I think that the problem here is not autonomy, but that you tend to think that the spanish state is not legitimate and that we should accept something that is not accepted in any other country of the World.

Do you know that in France there is a unique parlament and that everything is decided by the central state? Even when some of France's territories have been independent states time ago.

Our state structure is more than generous with basques, who massively voted for the spanish constitution in a free referendum.

Fernando