Well put, Calibasco! A neutral and interesting view of the conflict...errrr...NO!
It's an idealistic view that does have nothing to do with the real situation of the Basque Country.
It's easy to think that way if you live in California and have only heard ONE side of the so called conflict.
You say that we have to see both sides of the issue when you only can see one side.
I am basque, I have lived there, I have knowledge of both sides.
And I can tell you that currently the only oppresion suffered in the Basque Country comes from the terrorist group ETA and all who support them.
You know some stories from the past. Yes, there were decades of oppresion by fascist General Franco, an oppresion that was suffered by ALL Spain, not only the Basque Country.
Basque culture was represed, as well as Catalan or Galego.
When ETA was born, it had sense, but when democarcy returned to Spain it lost ALL sense, and many historical ETA leaders turned into democratic party representants. That was the way it had to be.
Now ETA has to die, it has no place in our country. The Basque Country is nearly independent, it's the most independent region of Europe.
ETA is plainly and simply a terrorist and criminal band and should be stopped the way it's being done. And I can see the end nearer now.