With 'Congeston charges' forced upon those who wish to drive into the centre of London, (started in February), I can understand the 'feeling stiffled' attitude.
Wolf mentioned the US being much bigger, but all cities are comparable in that they suffer the same 'stiffleness' and daily grind and what with more and more people each day heading for the big cities- really, it's not so different.

We are now charged £5 to enter into town with our cars, and people are not happy.

I often get the feeling that our cities are about to explode and that space is being taken away from us. The nice view of a sports field from my home will soon be a view of a nice housing development site. What will become of the foxes and birds who take refuge in this field?
This makes me feel uncomfortable, but it's a person's right to move to a place where they believe they can have a chance of a stable future, and these people need housing too.

Which brings me to something I've just remembered...while on the camino (sorry about droning on about it, but it's the reason I came to love Spain), at a water fountain I had a brief chat with a Spanish cyclist which went something like this..

-So what country are you from?
-I'm from London
-Ohhhh you're from England!!
-Yes, but my parents are from...but I was born in London (quickly added cos I know I don't look like your typical English lass)
-and you? Which part of Spain are you from?
-Ohhh I'm a Madrileno, but no one is reeeally from Madrid, my parents came from Valencia and Barcelona.
(giggles).

p.s. I get loads of laughs out of my origins, fellow peregrinos were falling over themselves with curiousity and placing bets on guessing correctly where I was from, a packet of cigs and round of beers being at stake- I felt quite proud of myself!!! laugh laugh - what a roar.
Happy Hols everyone!! cool