Jaime-
Don't let people freak you about about the t-shirt and gym shoe thing. Perhaps it is different in Madrid, but I was just in Sevila and ALL of my Spanish friends were wearing t-shirts. It was really hot, so most were wearing sandalls, both guys and girls (or men and women -they're 25-35 yrs old). Also, it seems that, for the women, "ethnic" type clothing seemed popular, like Indian-type blouses. It seems that most of the t-shirts, too, have cool and/or funky designs on them. It's interesting, b/c when I first studied there 10 years ago, almost everyone was wearing what I like to call the Corte Ingles uniform. I've been back several times since then and it seems that each time, there have been more variations in clothing styles. However, the uniform for the middle aged-older Spanish women has remained the same, as MM described!! Like Nuria said also, either way, they'll stare at you!! (BTW Nuria, I posted a question about this- I really want to talk about this!! Maybe you can email me or something if the topic interests you)
Jaime, have fun. Bring some stuff, pack light and get some stuff there.
-Jen

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 08-22-2000).]