MadridMan,

The instructions you just cited are exactly the same way I prepare my own turkey every year. The baking bag is practically a "no-brainer". And, no, the slits will not dry out the turkey, but they are necessary to prevent the bag from exploding. Also, as it says, shake a little flour inside the bag before placing the turkey inside. You can look at the bird after 2 1/2 hours. If it is a nice golden brown, and not white it should be done. I believe that the trick is to remove the wing from the carcass. If it pulls of easily, the bird is cooked. Also, if you cut into the meat and see pink, put the bird back in for another hour or so.

You can baste the turkey, even in the bag through the slits. That is what I usually do. With an American style turkey, you shouldn't need bacon because they are injected with enough water and have enough fat to be moist. I've never done it this way, but you can try it. It won't hurt anything. You're on the right track, and it really isn't that difficult. Even I can do it and I don't cook much at all.

It sounds like the honey suckle white instructions are not for dressing, but only for flavor. If you stuff the bird with a dressing, please do not throw the dressing out but eat it with the meal. Since a 13 lb. bird, won't require much dressing to stuff it, I usually scoop the dressing out and mix it with dry dressing. I boil the giblets and use the water to moisten the dry/wet mix a little more. Also you can use the juice in the bottom of the bag.

Again, best of luck my friend, and I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. Just being with friends like you will make it a very special day.