No matter where you finally decide to watch a bullfight, I must forewarn you that the last thing you'd want to do is to attend a bullfight without any preparation and totally "naked" for lack of a better term. I can't even begin to count the number of tourists I've talked to who have attended bullfights for the first time, totally unprepared, and were completely turned off by it and ended up never attending another one. All they saw was a bloody spectacle and didn't even realize what they were missing and what a wonderful sport it really is.

Here are 2 suggestions. First, you should try to attend the bullfight with a guide, an afficionado, if you will, who can show you the different nuances of the sport. The other alternative is to do some reading about the sport beforehand and there are numerous books on the subject. The one that I would recommend, believe it or not, is a book by Hemingway entitled "Death in the Afternoon". This is something you can read on the plane and Hemingway's style is so casual and easy to read and he is such a good storyteller that you won't have any problems finishing the book. Granted, this book is a novel, but it contains so many factual information about bullfighting and is a good introduction to the sport. This book may be a bit dated, in terms of the people he refers to, but a lot of information is still valid today.