Believe it or not, Easter Sunday is fairly low key in Spain. The Spanish seem to enjoy the suffering side of Christ's Passion on Holy Thursday and Good Friday. You get the feeling from the Spanish that the fact he rose from the dead to triumph is rather anecdotal. Try saying "Happy Easter" to a Spaniard and see how they look at you. It's sort of like "Oh, yeah, you're right. It's Easter." But you can definitely go to church. Basically Easter Sunday is the day you have to spend hours on the highway returning to Madrid and praying the traffic isn't too bad!

Semana Santa in Madrid is making a modest but concerted comeback. You do have processions (especially, Wednesday night, Thursday and Friday). They may not be up there with the Andalusian ones, but they have an old tradition and I hear are quite good. I'm never around for Easter so I can't tell you about the schedules. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find something.

Will things be closed on Sunday? Yes. But mostly because it's Sunday and not just Easter Sunday.

Madrid is a big city, so there will always be something to do. But you might want to make the most of the reduced population and visit museums and such without all the hassles.

The quietest day of all: Good Friday. Almost everything is closed that day.

Have fun