The latest on Beckham's opinion of the deal was posted in the Toronto Star today. Below is the article. Looks as if guapisimo Raúl will keep #7.

--------
Becks sorry for all the fuss
Transfer to Real a mess, star says

Insists he won't take Raul's jersey

David Beckham apologized to his new Real Madrid teammates yesterday for distractions caused by his 35 million euro ($55 million Canadian) transfer from Manchester United.

In his first public comments since the four-year deal was announced Tuesday, Beckham said in Tokyo he was unhappy over some aspects of the way the transfer deal was handled.

He reached out to Real Madrid's most popular player, Raul Gonzalez, saying he had no intention of taking his No. 7 shirt.

"Of course I think it could have been done a little bit differently," Beckham said of the transfer saga. "I think things went on that of course I wouldn't have been happy about."

Beckham declined to say what had upset him. But he later issued a statement saying it was the "timing" of the deal, noting the Spanish League isn't done.

"I want to apologize to the players because all this has not been sort of caused by me," he said. "I want to say that I didn't want it to detract from their last two games of the season, their fight to win the league. I didn't want anything to upset that."

Beckham paid tribute to Raul, the Spanish striker who leads a side that includes world stars Ronaldo, Luis Figo, Roberto Carlos and Zinedine Zidane.

"I heard all this that I wanted the No. 7 shirt," he said. "I'd never even think of taking this off Raul because for me he's the king of Real Madrid.

"I've not even discussed with Real Madrid what number I will get. I've not even said that I would want No. 7, because I wouldn't. I'm saying that now."

Once he gets to Spain July 1, Beckham said, he plans a proper farewell for his Man U fans.

"They've been a massive part of my life and to leave without saying anything wouldn't be right. I owe them a lot."