Hehehee... I can see the wheels turning in the heads of Spaniards when you ask for a "double bed". Maybe they're thinking you're asking for bunk beds or one mattress on top of the other so you can almost reach the ceiling. heheheehe....

Historically (Spaniards, please correct me if I'm wrong), just like in the USA, couples (even married ones) slept in twin beds in the same bedroom. Often, this is considered a double, simply meaning that TWO people will be sharing one room. And they will usually offer to push together the two twin beds, thereby (they think), making it a "double" in our "American" minds. I know. It doesn't work that way, but I've encountered this in Spain too. wink

If you'd like one double bed in the room to share with your partner, ask for a "cama matrimonial" (CORRECTION: that's "cama de matrimonio") - you don't need to tell them the sex of the other person staying with you - and you should get the larger bed.

Any other comments/corrections on this topic? Looks like a very good question that many people encounter when making reservations in English.

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog