I just came back from a long weekend in Tenerife taking advantage of the 100 Euro r/t fares on Spanair. I stayed at the Tryp Puerto Playa in Puerto de la Cruz, which was about 50 Euros a night, including MP. Weather was good, sunny most of the time -- too sunny up on Teide, where I got a nice sunburn. It was windy, but the temperatures were still in the 20's to 30's at sea level. I liked Puerto Cruz. Picturesque beach resort town without being overwhelmingly touristy or "planned" like I hear the south is (Cristianos, Playa de America). I took the public bus up to Vulcan Teide on Sunday for a day trip. There seemed to be a lot of locals who take their bikes up on the bus and then coast the 3000 m downhill. I loved the pine forests on the way up, and then the fascinating volcanic landscape at the summit. They were just getting into gear for Carnival, so prices will certainly be going up in the next several weeks. This year's theme is "The Far East", and I watched the kick-off pageant in Santa Cruz on TV. Nothing like seeing canarienses in Chinese dresses or Japanese kimonos for cultural dissonance.