I'll be spending a week in Galicia and am trying to put together an itinerary. I'll be leaving from Los Angeles April 6 and will probably then fly into Galicia from Madrid on the 7th. I'll then fly back into Madrid on the morning of the 14th and head home.

How should I divide up the trip between day-trips and my home base(s)? At first I thought I'd spend the entire week in Santiago de Compostela and do day trips but the more I read about the Rias Bajas and Rias Altas I don't know if this is the way to go. Should I break it up and spend 2 nights in La Coruna doing day trips along the northern coast, 2 nights in the Rias Bajas (Vigo or Pontevedra?)and do day trips to other cities like Tui/Bayona/ etc..., and end with 3 nights in Santiago?

I don't want to try to push too much into every day but I'm also a person that doesn't like to just relax on my vacation either. I'll be traveling by myself and am
just beginning to learn basic spanish. I enjoy historical sites and churches in
particular -not much into the outdoorsy stuff.

Also, I'll be returning in September for 17 days in Northern Spain - Barcelona across through Asturius - so I didn't want to cover a large geography with this shorter trip.

I'd love to get some advise on where to stay and how long in each location,possible day trips, restaurants/tapas (I've heard the food is excellent), hotels, etc....

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.