If the name has caused some amusement, please let me explain. I'm American, y mi novio es mexicano. eek

I consider myself to be a fortunate American when it comes to Spain. Some of my closest friends here in California are Spanish (si, de España), I understand basic Spanish (working towards fluency), and fell in love with Spain during a visit this last July. Sure, no one confused me to be a Spaniard, but I was welcomed into homes of my friend's parents like I was family. We traveled through Andalucia, and then north for a wonderful (and safe) visit of Pais Vasco. We all know ETA does not equal Basque people!

So, you may be wondering, why did I join this message board if I already feel accepted by Spain? You've gained my trust - you are all contributing thoughtful information. I've been absorbing most all the topics and replys with intensity. And, although I've already been warmly welcomed to Spain, I have a long way to go to fully understand the culture!

We have our hotel, plans have been set around our friend's wedding on Dec 22nd, and we've already been given much advice and ideas for the other eight days in Madrid.

I want to FEEL Madrid, and thought I'd throw this out on the board for you all to digest and hopefully offer your insight. One can read the guidebooks "until the cows come home," but I'm hungry for a true local's opinion on what to check out, beyond all the obvious culture that has aready been planned for (Prado, Sol, etc). Unique, interesting (funky or trendy) neighborhoods, bars, small art houses - anything you all want to disclose would be greatly appreciated!!!

I see myself moving to Spain in the near future, and we'll be treating this as an expedition. To scout out Madrid - would I want to live here? All the help you want to give, helping to find and FEEL Madrid, will be appreciated.

I look forward to all your replys!!!