I was reading threads from 2000 and 2001 on this messageboard about how taxi drivers located at Barajas would sometimes rip off passengers when driving them to their hotels. Has the situation gotten better since the subject was discussed last year? Does anyone have any new tips on not getting ripped off?

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of how much it should cost to go from Barajas to the Hotel Carlos V near the Plaza de Callao? I looked up a website which I think is the official one. It had a page on taxi fares ( http://www.aena.es/madrid-barajas/en/docs/access/bytaxi.html ) which was a bit confusing. By assuming that the distance to be traveled is 15 kilometers, I figured out that with the airport supplement, the cost would be 17,5 Euros. However, I will be there on a Sunday morning. The site mentions a Festive Supplement of 0,81 Euros per kilometer. Is that in addition to or in lieu of the normal 0,63 Euros per kilometer rate? Does 30 Euros seem more likely for a taxi ride on Sunday?

I am trying to decide whether to take a taxi, take the hotel shuttle, take Aerocity , or take the Metro . I have taken the hotel shuttle on my trips in the past, but every time, I had to wait about an hour for it to arrive. I can't bear to wait as I am so excited about getting to my hotel so that I can start enjoying myself in Madrid!

Thanks!