Aren't those overnight flights TO Spain exciting?? Man-o-Man!! laugh I love them -- even though I can NEVER sleep! I'm So jazzed to be returning to my beloved Spain that I can never read the books I take, I feel I want/need to watch all the free movies they show, my thoughts are about touching down on Spanish soil.

I think some of you recall my last tales of my October 2000 trip, but if not.... I was lucky enough to have an aisle seat (my REQUIRED seat) on the side of the plane which only has 2 seats (with 5 in the middle). I rarely talk much to the person sitting next to me, but for this trip I was DELIGHTED to be sitting next to a 20-something who was on his way to Mallorca (or was it Ibiza?). He was working as a hairdresser working in Hollywood, stylishly dressed, outwardly gay, (I'm straight, by the way, if any of you weren't sure) VERY talkative & friendly, and we had a great time chatting about our favorite parts of Spain and everything else. I can't remember another time when I passed those 8 flight hours more easily and more enjoyably! We were fast friends and didn't sleep, but talked and laughed and then we said goodbye at the end of the flight. The return flight to the USA was interesting too because I was bringing the 76 year old mother of my ladyfriend. It was her FIRST time on an airplane - poor thing.. She was a bit airsick, but I tried to keep her occupied and her mind on happy things in her life, asking her about her younger years in Spain, her experiences as a girl during the civil war and how she and her family hid in the caves in the mountains in Santander, hearing the bombs in the city down below. VERY interesting.

The trip before that one when returning to the US, I sat across the aisle from a guy and a dozen or so of his teammates who were on a soccer team, playing in some tournament in Florida. He didn't speak any English and I didn't speak much spanish then, but he asked if I smoked and I said no, only cigars, and he chuckled. At lunch, he was happy to see I ordered a Cruzcampo beer with lunch and we talked about other beers of Spain.

And how 'bout that airplane food? I almost always fly on Delta (as I am this month) and, to me, the food is always suprisingly good! I love having a small bottle of red wine with my dinner. But you know, it seems they almost feed you TOO often on those flights. Seems about every 3 hours you get another full meal. Well, okay, a dinner at takeoff at about 7 or 8pm, then a kind of snack 3 hours later, then breakfast and hour before landing.

And I can't stand siting for those 8 hours! I'm often up and standing in the space between first class and coach at the emergency exit, doing deep knee bends, twisting at the waist, raising my arms over my head, rotating my head/neck, and talking to whomever is standing there with me.. Funny how few people like to talk on flights. I think it's generally different on flights going overseas (or to Mexico) as everyone's going on vacation. Occasionally you'll sit next to a Spaniards, but it seems rare. I generally don't tell anyone that I have a website about Madrid because it would appear I'm bragging or advertising.

Bathrooms on Planes: SO SMALL!! hehehee.. An hour before landing...everyone is waking up and standing in line to reapply makeup, brush teeth, wash faces, put on deoderant, comb hair, and everything else people do in the morning, all with hundreds of others and in a space the size no larger than a broom closet. And get this! SO FAR, if I'm not able to change it, my seat this month is an aisle seat in the last row of the plane... so that means I'll be RIGHT next to the bathroom door. eek :o I'll have to take my nose plugs with me. hehehe.. But at least I won't have to walk far if I have to go. BUT STILL! And since my seat is in the last row it won't full recline. I hate that. mad

And how 'bout the ARCTIC climate we always have on those overnight flight! Maybe it's because it's at night and you're thousands of feet in the air?? It never seems THAT cold during daytime return flights. I always take a sweater and there are never enough blankets for everyone who asks for them.

What other airplane stories of your trips to/from Spain do we have?? I'm sure everyone has some! Let's share! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog