Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9737 - 09/11/00 03:08 PM Luggage Storage at Train stations
NJmaria Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hi, my husband and I are planning to take the train from Barcelona to Madrid and vice-versa. Since we are on a budget we decided to take the 23:00 or later trains to save us from spending another night in a hotel/hostel.
My questions are:
- do they have luggage storage in Sants(Barcelona) and Chamartin(Madrid) stations? We plan to check out on the day of our departure from either cities and leave our luggage on the station and spend the remaining time strolling around the city until it's almost time for us to leave.

- if there is a storage, would a 28in.(L) x 22in (W) x 14in (H) fit in those storage compartments?

- how safe is it and can you leave your things for the whole day?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

....NJmaria

P.S.
Hi MadridMan, great website!!! Very informative. I'm glad we found your website. I picked up a lot of tips and precautions especially from your UBB. Thanks.

#9738 - 09/11/00 09:10 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, NJMaria!

I think I can help you with the Chamartin part of your questions.

Last summer we took a night train from Gerona to Madrid. We arrived at Chamartin very early. The luggage storage room was not yet open - I can't remember if it opened at 8:00 or 9:00 am. We had breakfast next door while we waited. I don't know what time it closes, as we took out our stuff in the afternoon. It's not a 24 hour place, though.

To get to it upon arriving by train, cross the main hall of the station when you leave the platform. Go out the doors, and cross the small covered street. Walk down to the left end. That's where it is. The front walls are all windows, so you'll recognize it. If you reach the parking lot, you've gone too far.

We had a ton of stuff with us - several bags, a large suitcase, tennis rackets, etc., so we got one of the large lockers. It cost only 600 pts for the day (about $3.25US). Of course, that was last year, but I doubt it would go up much.

There were two employees there both times we went in. There was even a metal detector to walk through. I felt our stuff was very safe!

#9739 - 09/12/00 01:28 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
NJmaria Offline

Hi Diana,

Thank you very much for the information you have provided. This would certainly help us with our travel.

....NJMaria

#9740 - 09/12/00 01:31 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Diana (or anyone), do you know anything about similar storage/lockers at the Atocha train station in Madrid?

NJmaria! Thanks for your kind words! If you happen to store your things at any of the train station storage areas we would all really appreciate your firsthand experiences. People ask me this question from time to time. So, if possible, please return to this/your thread and let us all know how it went. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 09-12-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9741 - 09/12/00 06:20 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
NJmaria Offline

No problem, MadridMan! Too bad we'll miss each other in Madrid We're also going on October(18/10 - 24/10). It would have been great to join your party (http://www.madridman.com/madridman.html)!

I'll keep you posted!

....NJmaria

#9742 - 09/14/00 08:03 AM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madridman,

There are lockers at Puerta de Atocha station (where the AVE and Talgo 200 are). It's opened from 6:30 to 22:20.

Prices for 24 hours are:

Big locker = 600 pesetas
Medium locker = 400 pesetas
Small locker = 300 pesetas

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#9743 - 10/27/00 04:35 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
NJmaria Offline

Just got back from our short but wonderful and unforgetable trip to Spain! It was our first time in Spain and now I understand why you all fell in love with this beautiful country full of culture and history because my husband and I fell in love with Spain, too!

Anyway, as promised here is my report. We were able to use the Sants and the Atocha luggage storage. The Sants luggage storage(Consignas)is located on the left side of the building if you are facing the ticket counters. It's open from 05:30 to 23:00.

The prices are:
Big lockers - 600 pesetas
Small lockers - 400 pesetas

We ended up taking 2 carry-on luggages instead of the one I described in my first entry. They fitted well in the big locker. The one we used at Atocha is located on left side of the area where the AVE and Talgo platforms are. The prices and times were as written by Antonio.

I noticed both have metal detectors but they were not used while we were there. Although we felt our things were safe in both stations, I prefer the one in Atocha because it has a uniformed (and helpful) attendant and the placed looks newer, cleaner and brighter than Sants.

Hope this helps.

....NJmaria

P.S.
I also noticed in Figueres and Segovia train stations have luggage storage, too. Sorry, I was not able to get the times and prices, but I think it's basically the same with the other stations.

#9744 - 01/25/01 10:45 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
aphra Offline

Loc: New York City, USA
Anyone know about lockers or a luggage storage room in the station at Cordoba, and how safe they are? I would expect to stop there for a day enroute from Madrid to Sevilla but am a little nervous about leaving all my luggage in the station. Advice, anyone?

#9745 - 02/01/02 01:35 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Starting today, February 1st 2002, luggage storage at Puerta de Atocha station (high speed train) will be out of order during the works to adapt the station for the new high speed train Madrid - Barcelona - French border. AVE's Club lounge will be also closed during this period.

#9746 - 02/02/02 03:14 PM Re: Luggage Storage at Train stations
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
.aphra-
The lockers at the Cordoba station worked fine for the day trip from Madrid - Sevilla when I did this last October. In fact, I was on my own as my traveling companion announced (as we were walking into Atocha) that she didn't want to stop in Cordoba, she was too tired. rolleyes

It was very simple. After you get off the train, you take the escalator up to the main station. Make a left at the top of the escalators and there are the lockers. There are very well marked signs also. The next part was a little tricky. I had a large :o suitcase and a carry-on and had to use 2 lockers. Unfortunately, I didn't bring enough change. Once I got the change the first couple of lockers didn't work. It was funny though because there was a spanish gentleman who had the same problem and although he didn't speak english and I don't speak spanish we were both laughing at each other laugh Once you find a locker that works and put your money in you'll get a little slip of paper that when you tear it open has a code to use that will release the lock. I met an American couple at the lockers so we all jumped in a cab together and went into the old center.

Another mistake I made: I wanted to visit the Mezquita, Alcazar and Juderia. I should have noticed that the Alcazar was closed for siesta until 4pm but the Mezquita stayed open. I visited the Mezquita first so when I headed to the Alcazar it was closed. I did get to visit when it reopened but I was rushed because I was worried about making it back to the station.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2651 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments