Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9528 - 06/18/00 06:27 PM transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
paragon Offline

Loc: River Falls, WI USA
Hi Madridman,

We will be arriving on 20AUG at 730am on an overnight from Santiago de Compostela into Madrid-Chamartin train station. We need to get to Madrid-Barajas airport to get a 10am flight. Does anyone have experience making this transfer. Is there a bus that makes this journey? What about Aerocity?

Thanks,

Meredith

#9529 - 06/19/00 06:42 AM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
For a 10:00 International Departure out of Barajas you should be at airport check-in by 08:00. This effectively limits your options. A taxi from Chamartin to the airport will take about 20-min and probably cost about 3,000 pesetas (with surcharges). That's less than $20 USD.

I have made this transfer by Metro and knowing my way and with a wheeled carry-on, it took me 45-minutes (two line changes). That's cutting it very thin considering the time it will take you to get from the train to the Metro station and then from Barajas airport Metro station (Terminal #2) to your Airline's check-in desk. I wouldn't risk missing my flight to save a few bucks.

Also, you may want to browse (or shop) in Barajas airport's 'duty free' area for half hour or so. There are some good deals on wines & liquors, tobacco products and even olives stuffed with anchovies. Unfortunately, you won't find some of the fine wines from Galicia there. If you want to bring some of those back, you will have to buy them in Santiago. Some of the prices for products at the Santiago airport were better than those at Barajas' duty free. Last year one could buy them at the Santiago airport cafeteria as early as 06:00.

P.D.
I have read about Madrid Taxi 'rip offs' on an adjacent thread. The Taxi driver will add a surcharge for 'Train Station pickup,' another for 'Airport dropoff,' and a third for luggage stowed in the trunk of the cab. These are standard, legal charges and not 'tourist rip offs.'

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 06-19-2000).]

#9530 - 06/19/00 08:52 AM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
paragon Offline

Loc: River Falls, WI USA
Hi again,

I guess I should have mentioned that we will be going on a domestic flight to Mallorca on Europa departing at 10.05 -- this gives us an hour and a half, and I hope a few more options, to get to the airport from the train station.

Thanks,
Meredith

#9531 - 06/19/00 02:59 PM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Speaking of Taxis: Last year, on one visit to Santiago de Compostela, I day tripped to Vigo the day before leaving. I was staying at Hostal Hogar San Francisco (HHSF). I was tired, so I caught a taxi from the railroad station to HHSF. I was on Spanair's early flight to Madrid the next morning so I asked the cab driver if it would be difficult to get a taxi from HHSF to the airport at 06:00. He assured me that he (#49) would be there at that time to take me to the airport; and he was. The gate was locked; but when I woke up the 'night man' and he unlocked it, the driver was waiting for me. Now that's the kind of cab driver we all hope to encounter.

#9532 - 06/19/00 03:18 PM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's a great story, Eddie! What a great taxi driver you had. And I'm sure you were more than happy to pay the 20,000 pesetas fare for the 10-minute trip, right? hehehe.. Talk about add-ons!!

Qué risa, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9533 - 06/20/00 07:12 AM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Another great thing about Santiago: fares between the airport and historical section are fixed and rigidly enforced: ESP 2.100 was the price in '99 for Santiago (25/07).

#9534 - 06/29/00 03:48 PM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
Chip Offline

Though it takes a little extra time, the Metro is really the cheapest way to go. Since they opened the extended line to Barajas it's the only way I've gone (of course I usually go from the airport to Chamartin, not the other way). Give yourself an hour for the trip alone, so adjust to whenever you feel you should be at the airport. You'll spend a tenth of what you would pay for a taxi.

#9535 - 06/29/00 04:06 PM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hey Chip! What was your experience on the metro with your luggage? I'm curious to know how you managed with so many people riding on some of the busier lines.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9536 - 06/29/00 05:29 PM Re: transfer chamartin train station to barajas airport
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Madridman,

I am flying this weekend to Barcelona (with Iberia's incredible prices) and I will take the subway. We won't carry a lot of luggage but I am sure it will be ok the carry it on the metro.

Did you know there is even an elevator at Mar de Cristal subway station?.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments