Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#9517 - 01/07/01 02:49 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
chopchi Offline

What is the moral to all these taxi tales? In all my visits to I rarely bother w/taxis in Madrid.If at all possible I walk,something I don't/can't/won't
do in the States.For longer distances I love the Metro-what a bargain,more efficient than taxis and getting cleaner/nicer with every visit.The only time I take a taxi is to and from the airport but I discuss the price before I get into the cab .If they begin to hem and haw I move onto the next cab!Other than the airport, remember to walk and really experience Madrid!

#9518 - 01/23/01 03:06 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Chip Offline

I agree. Since the metro has been completed all the way to the airport, there si really little reason to take a taxi -- of course except for those times when you really have to. Walk! Take the metro! It's one of the best ways to get to know Madrid and an excellent way to people watch. I personally have never been ripped off by as taxi driver in Madrid (after a number of airport rides), but I do have some command of Castellano and I do try to be nice and engage the driver in conversation -- the best experience was with a friend who followed Real Madrid -- the driver was a born and bred Real fan and he drove us by the stadium no extra charge!! He was genuinely p[roud of his team and happy to find an extranjero who knew about it.

If you want to talk ripoffs, lets mention RENFE and they way they treat everybody, not just tourists.

#9519 - 01/23/01 09:52 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
ElViejo Offline

Loc: Tampa, Floirda, USA
Just got back from Madrid (1/22)and yes the taxi's are a rip off just like they are in Paris, London, NYC etc. But, we found the METRO to be the real deal of the trip. For 145 pesetas (less than a buck and a half) we rode around the city like royalty. We simply mastered the METRO map & the color of the lines that run from one place to another. It was quick, clean and very pleasant. Opps...one kinda bad thing. I did catch one fellow trying to pick my pocket...but he didn't get anything. But, I will never...and I mean NEVER travel by taxi through Madrid. The METRO gets my vote!

#9520 - 02/12/01 12:03 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Just a tidbit from the LA Times today. The travel section did some research on where the most costly taxi fares were. The sample trip was a three-mile trip including tip.

Most expensive? Los Angeles at $14 USD. New York City came in at $10 USD...and third from the bottom? Madrid. It came in at a mere $3.72 for the trip, just ahead of Mexico City and Athens.

This only reaffirms what I've known while traveling in Madrid...the taxistas are nice, and it's a relative travel bargain. Enjoy your next trip! You'll be saving money over your other world destinations...

#9521 - 02/12/01 08:42 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
abrand Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
So I arrive in Madrid at 9:00 p.m. after a long flight from Oregon, U.S.A. I know very little spanish, and the spanish I do understand is Mexican Spanish. So I've been debating this whole metro/taxi thing. I want to go to the Huertas area. How easy is it to take the metro from the airport there and find your way in the dark along the streets to the hotel lopez. Is this a foolish idea?

Details would be appreciated. THanks Amber

#9522 - 02/14/01 09:46 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
aerocity Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi Amber,
You might consider our shuttle service "AeroCITY" an alternative way to go to your hostal. It is door to door and cheaper than official taxi rates.
Check it out at aerocity.com, our web page where you can get informed and make your reservations on-line.
Buen Viaje!

------------------
Juan
Airport shuttle, limo and coach services in Spain.
http://www.aerocity.com

#9523 - 07/16/01 11:59 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Martin R.J. Cleaver Offline

Loc: Madrid
Things haven't changed. eek How do I complain though? I was told to go to the police station - I waited 1 1/4 hours before I gave up because it took too long in the queue.

Anyone got a quick way of reporting them?

#9524 - 07/16/01 01:01 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You may try via internet (providing you speak spanish) in www.policia.es , or via telephone in the 902 102 112.

Regards

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#9525 - 07/16/01 06:39 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Quote:
The taxi driver is obliged to give you an official receipt if you wish.

In case of complaint you can fill in a claim form available in the vehicle and send it to:

Oficina Municipal del Taxi
Vallehermoso, 1-2º
Madrid - 28015
Tel: 91 588 96 32
Fax: 91 588 96 31

#9526 - 07/17/01 04:08 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Abrand,

It shouldn't be difficult if you manage to get a metro map in the Net or at the airport ¿information desk?. You will have to change from metro line two times ( three lines in whole), to reach Sevilla, which I think is the closest Metro station to Huertas, but anyway, MM may recommend another stop/line.

Besides, Metro will always take you downtown, sice it is the farthest stop, so, if you get fed up you can simply go out and take a taxi.

Streets don't use to be dark, besides, Huertas is a nightlife area, but phone & reserve from your country or, at least from the airport, because many hostales do not accept unregistered people at evening/night.

However, pay careful attention to the signs inside Metro, and be ready to ask somebody if you get lost - best method is point the station you go to in the Metro map.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1594 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments