MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#9507 - 09/19/00 01:05 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You might say that this is in defense of cab drivers in Spain, and particularly in Madrid:

We just got back from Spain and I would just like to report that not once were we 'ripped off' by cab drivers. As a matter of fact, most failed to charge us valid supplemental charges (i.e., pick up at Puerta de Atocha at the Taxi line, and stowing 3 or 4 bags in the trunk ('boot' for you Brits)). Most charged us just what showed on the meter. It was 750 pesetas for 2-passengers with luggage from Puerta de Atocha to Avenida de America bus terminal; and when we came back to Madrid from Santander, it was 1.200 pesetas to go to Alameda de Osuna (about two thirds of the way to Barajas airport) from Avda de America bus terminal. Only once, in Santander, were we charged extra for stowed luggage, and I think that was because Friday was 'Cantabria Day,' the feast day of the Virgen de la Montanha, and the cab driver wasn't very happy to be working that day.

Most cab drivers are honest, hard working people; and unless you are particularly obnoxious, they won't try to 'put it to you.'
Taxi meters are inspected periodically by the Ayuntamiento (weights and measures), just like they are everywhere. I think one of the worst things American Tourists do is express suspicion. A cab driver might be resentful if you do everything but accuse him of dishonesty. One reaction: 'If you're going to get accused of it, you might as well do it.'

#9508 - 09/19/00 02:33 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
My cousin works as a taxi driver and I guess he will kill me if he knew I'm posting such bad things about them.

However, all of you are talking about your own experience or your friends or relatives experiences. Having been at Hostal Chelo for 14 years and meeting many people who come from the aiport give me an idea of how many dishonest taxi drivers are there in Madrid.

You all say you were not ripped off but I can tell you that most of my foreign customers get ripped off. I wonder if it's just a coincidence. Maybe only Hostal Chelo customers meet dishonest taxi drivers.

------

"If it was like that, why are there such long queues in the airport waiting for a taxi? People would have chosen other alternatives if it was so evident". Well, here are a few reasons:

[*] Spaniards or people who know Madrid are not likely to be ripped off. Thus, they don't mind taking a taxi.

[*] First time travellers may not know about dishonest taxi drivers in Spain.

[*] Companies pay taxis to businessmen so they don't care how much they got charged.

[*] Few people know about Aerocity. I think Madridman didn't know about them when I first told about it.

Castiza, if you don't agree with the fare on the meter, you don't need to write down any information. Ask for an official receipt (this has the license and plaque number and also all the information about the route and fare). You can complain at the city council with it.

-----

And last, I don't understand why people insist on paying more for their transfer from the airport to the city centre. Even if you are not ripped off you will always get cheaper prices at Aerocity .

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#9509 - 10/03/00 08:38 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I find an interesting correlation between prosperity and honesty. When I first went to Spain in 1956 taxi fares started at 3.5 pesetas (exchange rate was 35 or 40 ptas. to the dollar.) One day I left a Leica camera in the back seat of a taxi. I went to the taxi office and recovered it. That driver probably made around $5 on a good a day, but he didn't take advantage of the situation. The rules required a payment of 10 percent of the recovered property. I left the driver 3000 pesetas--over the protests of the clerk who said it was much too much.

I guess when people are poor, and all they have is their pride, they are reluctant to sacrifice it.

I doubt I'd get that Leica back today.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-04-2000).]

#9510 - 12/23/00 09:02 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Check out the new taxi fares for the year 2001.

Prices have increased by 5.8% for next year.

Regards,

Antonio

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 12-24-2000).]

#9511 - 12/23/00 01:50 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I gave a fairly long account of my most recent encounters with taxis elsewhere on this board but in short:
· I had no problem at all with the taxis,
· The taxi fare was reasonable and proportionate to the distance involved,
· In both directions the journey was quick and convenient,
· However; I believe that the journey from the airport to the Puerta del Sol would have involved a possible overcharging if I had not been able to converse fluently in Spanish,
· However; I believe that the taxi drivers stacking and waiting in the Puerta del Sol can be trusted to return people to the airport without any over-charging at all, even if the people can’t speak Spanish.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 12-23-2000).]

#9512 - 12/24/00 09:43 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

December 20th. A group of ten people coming to my hostel took 3 different taxis from the airport to the city centre. Each taxi was about 5000 pesetas, which obviously was a rip off. Coincidentally, none of them speak a word of Spanish and they didn't know Madrid either.

Antonio

#9513 - 12/24/00 10:56 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
I have no personal interest either way in discussing taxis; however, I would suggest that in the case quoted 5000 pts between three taxis and split between ten people yielding a cost of about 1500 pts each (about £5.5 or $7) is not unreasonable for the convenience and distance involved. I would expect to pay that much just about anywhere.

#9514 - 12/24/00 12:07 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Well, steaveaqui, I shouldn't talk bad things about taxi drivers because I have friends and relatives who work as taxi drivers.

However, if you read my previous posts in this thread you will see that it's not just a coincidencen. I've been told of many rip offs for more than 14 years (the time I've been at Hostal Chelo). I really hate when people rip off tourists.

It may seem cheap for you because England is much more expensive than Spain. But 5000 pesetas for a transfer to the aiport is definitely a rip off. In Spain, you should expect to be charged the prices we have in Spain and, in this case, you should be charged about 3000 pesetas (I've even had a few lucky tourists who got charged 2600 pesetas only).

Antonio

PS: By the way, when I went to England last year I was told taxi drivers were very honest. Maybe that's why you don't realised how big the problem is.

PSS: Taxi rip offs usually take place only on the transfers to the airport since they are usually the longest journeys. You aren't so likely to have problems in shorter distances.

#9515 - 01/07/01 11:02 AM Re: Taxis rip offs
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Two of my customers got charged 8000 pesetas for a ride from the airport to Hostal Chelo. I wonder if it was the new fares for the year 2001 .

#9516 - 01/07/01 02:10 PM Re: Taxis rip offs
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
i protested in a taxi when the meter was clicking every 3 seconds instead of 6, and after taking alook at my hubby and me, seeing we were returning to the palace, noting we were well dressed etc, he said, you are right, it must be the new fares !!!! i am going to get it fixed right away. i think he worried we might turn him in for having an adelantado meter -- and i used that word. so he charged a flat fee which was reasonable. hmmmm. i really do hate taking taxis even within madrid city limits but...i do love madrid.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1615 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments