MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#91493 - 09/10/12 04:14 PM Article: Putting Spain Back in Spanish Food
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Putting Spain Back in Spanish Food
Our favorite tv chef, José Andrés, is now the Dean of The International Culinary Center. I bet it is a dream come true for him. So exciting for Spanish food lovers! No more confusing Spanish food for Mexican or Latino cooking!

#91494 - 09/11/12 05:52 AM Re: Article: Putting Spain Back in Spanish Food [Re: esperanza]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well I have been away from the USA for several years now, but before 2003 I can tell you Spanish food needs a lot of publicity to explain what it is in the USA.

Most Americans Spanish as you mentioned is all of the 22 republics together, we eat the same, we look the same, and we think the same. We are very close, but not the same. And I have l live in both sides of the fence, know what I am saying.

One typical story was in Daytona Beach FL,right in front of the Daytona International Speedway, our Galician friends moved from NJ where they had a restaurant in a much Spanish area in Union City on Bergenline ave. Decided to open a similar restaurant in Daytona and name it Villa Madrid ::)

I went and told them they need it to educate the folks with brochures explaining the food; they told me Americans know Spanish food. While I was there once, a family group of about 7 persons came in ,look at the menu,and went to maria the owner and ask her if they make tacos lol!!! end of story.

More education is needed; and I am talking in general of course, many areas do undertand the difference like Union City and Miami for example.
Cheers

By the way the restaurant closed 8 months later.

Edited by MadridMan (09/11/12 08:32 AM)
Edit Reason: to combine two consecutive postings.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments