Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91365 - 07/26/12 10:03 AM SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Best of luck to Spain in the 2012 London Olympics xfingers

The 2012 London Olympics officially starts tomorrow, 27 July at 9PM local London time with the Opening Ceremonies. First events start the following day, 28 July, 2012. See official Olympics schedule and results HERE.

Here, we'll discuss the Spanish athletes, their events and (hopefully a lot of) medals.

We already know that Rafael Nadal won't be participating in Olympic Men's Tennis. That's a shame. He was to carry the Spanish flag in the opening ceremonies, but Spanish/Catalán basketball legend Pau Gasol will do the honors instead. thumbsup

Regarding Men's Basketball, the USA team is in GROUP A while Spain is in GROUP B. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these two in the final together. Wouldn't THAT be great?!?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91367 - 07/27/12 04:52 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yesterday, even BEFORE the Opening Ceremonies (which doesn't make any sense to me, but ooookay...), Spain lost to Japan in Football/Fútbol/Soccer 1-0 in the First Round Group D. That's a pretty shocking way for Spain to start the 2012 Olympics, the former WORLD CUP holder country!

According to the Spanish Football Team Roster, NONE (or almost none) of the players from the the EuroCup or World Cup are on the Olympic team. The ONLY name I even recognize is Jordi Alba. Can anyone explain this to me?

Tonight's the Opening Ceremony! I might just watch.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91368 - 07/27/12 07:26 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I believe that the soccer is under 23 for men with 3 exceptions allowed.

#91370 - 07/28/12 05:04 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes correct teachertraveler8
javi martinez, jordi alba, and Mata, the exceptions

it was a shock to lose but many have won after losing the opening game so still lots to do.
Spain will win about 11-15 medals, they cant match Barcelona 92
cheers

#91371 - 07/28/12 11:26 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

So the soccer games are for players only 23 years old and younger - but the basketball teams can be any age?!? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Saludos, MadridMan

#91372 - 07/28/12 02:03 PM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I think the basketball may be changing, too.

#91375 - 07/29/12 07:38 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Thats the Olympics, they are govern by individual associations so the football one is FIFA, very strict. The 3 players was just added a few years back if I recall was in 2007. Otherwise it was sub 23 only.

basketball well here is FIBA and the NBA has more say. Totally pros but then again they dont have a world cup ::)

Spain vs Honduras for the confirmation lol! Munian is back

#91376 - 07/29/12 07:40 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

I just read in an english trade journal on wines that because obbbins was not allowed to advertise and claim abuse because small outfit is having a sales of 30% discount if you come with an Iphone, Nike shoes, Vauxhall key, pepsi purchase at KFC, etc etc..
hehehe now going to the olympics you get better wine prices but the demands are high lol!! maybe Steve can look into this.
Oddbins has 35 stores in the London area.wine shops.

#91377 - 07/29/12 08:25 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Not sure what/who Oddbins/Obbbins is, but is (s)he on the Spanish Olympic team?!!? huh wink

Saludos, MadridMan

#91383 - 07/31/12 07:49 AM Re: SPAIN: 2012 London Olympics [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks, pedmar! thumbsup Please post your updates here instead in the temporary ShoutBox. Thanks!! wavey

Spain loses to Honduras 0-1 in Soccer/Football.. They're eliminated? huh

Women's Beach Volleyball: Spain versus Argentina. Game just started. You can watch live online at RTVE.es.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments