MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91014 - 05/28/12 08:41 AM Ryan Air reliability in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Hi all, I am hoping to hear from you all about your experiences with Ryan Air in Spain. I am seriously thinking of going from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid on Ryan Air because the Iberia fare is ridiculously expensive (over $300) for the day I need to travel (July 28).
I know that you have to pay for luggage and other fees on Ryan AIr, but it still is economical. The flight leaves in the morning and arrives around 11 am in Terminal 1. I have a flight from Terminal 4 at 3 pm. Do you think I have reason to think that the Ryan Air flight will not arrive in time for me to catch my other flight?
Any thoughts? Thanks!!

#91015 - 05/28/12 09:55 AM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: esperanza]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

just one other thing.... I have found one other option that would cost about the same as Ryan Air. To take the bus from Santiago overnight arriving at Terminal 4 in the morning... I think I may consider this option as well. It seems very reasonable. Has anyone taken an overnight bus in Spain? Alsa is the bus company. I have taken Alsa before and I know they are reliable, but I have never taken an overnight bus in Spain.
The other option (train) doesn't seem too convenient and it is quite expensive too. Then I would have to make it to the airport after getting to Madrid.

#91018 - 05/29/12 02:01 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: esperanza]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i flew once from here to Madrid, cheap yes, but to my habits very inconvenient, and they do charge for everything extra.
for me its last resort.

overnight bus in Spain is fine, not done it years, but it was fine.

#91020 - 05/29/12 05:23 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: pedmar]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
La Juliana often took ALSA overnight between Madrid and Barcelona and had no problems. It was on time and comfortable. She was able to sleep enough to get to her Monday morning classes. Have you checked on how many stops the bus may have on that route?

#91021 - 05/30/12 03:35 AM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've only heard negative things about Ryanair - but negative voices tend to be louder than positive ones. I've not flown them myself, but people close to me have and it wasn't a pleasant experience at the check-in counter - disorganization - but that was the only complaint. Oh, and it seems certain airlines have priority over departure, as well. Not sure how that all works, but I wouldn't be surprised that Ryanair would be towards the end. Another person I know had one of those experiences where they sat on the tarmac for 3 hours before being allowed to take off. Some mechanical thing. Anyway, as long as there's no pilots' or baggage-handlers' strike taking place while you're traveling, I would think you'd make your connection in Madrid.

As for overnight buses in Spain, ALSA is probably the best, best known, and farthest-reaching bus line. I've never used one overnight, no, but their daytime buses are great and very comfortable. I did venture ONCE to use the broom-closet sized toilet at the bottom of the stairs at the exit door (mid-coach) and nearly got my "bell rung" several times while standing there due to the bumps in the road. Hopefully yours would be an "Express" bus. The overnight buses usually are, having only one stop at mid-point (or every 4 hours, whichever comes first). The Express buses are only a little more expensive, usually, and worth the savings in time.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91023 - 05/30/12 12:22 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: MadridMan]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will do the bus. Seems like the best option. I will let you know how it goes.

#91028 - 05/30/12 02:52 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: esperanza]
Crisco Offline

I wouldn't take a chance with Ryanair when you have a connecting flight! The bus ride w/AC will be long (about 10 hrs) but the seats are comfortable.Try to book a seat near the front not behind the bathroom.I'm amazed how many people do indeed use the bathroom and sitting behind is is very unpleasant!!!!!
I think there's a bus that goes to Barajas T4-how convenient is that but you will get in super early for your flight.

#91029 - 05/30/12 05:01 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: Crisco]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I know that I will get to Barajas super early but at least it is a pleasant terminal and there are restaurants (though expensive)...
thanks for the tip on the seat on the bus.

#91034 - 05/31/12 01:03 PM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: esperanza]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

"Iberia fare is ridiculously expensive"

Esperanza

Did you try round trip tickets as they could be cheaper and if you do not need a return flight? I checked Expedia a round trip Iberia morning flight is around $103.

#91042 - 06/01/12 07:55 AM Re: Ryan Air reliability in Spain [Re: Bill from NYC]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
There is nothing wrong with ryan air from Britain, as long as you abide by there rules, people overload there bags and get fined then blame the airline, turn up late and blame the airline, ok theres no allocated seating but you get what you pay for and after all its just a glorified taxi no frills airline, you want more? then you have to pay for it,my only bad experiance witth them was at gerona airport that was well disorganized but all the other airports have been fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1895 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments