MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90943 - 05/09/12 06:09 PM Madrid featured on House Hunters International
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Thursday at 10:30 pm, Madrid will be the featured location on an episode of House Hunters International. If you've never seen the show on HGTV, it chronicles the stories of various ex-pats as they search for a home in another country. It looks like Marbella, Spain will be the destination on Monday night's episode.

Edited by MadridMan (05/10/12 04:50 AM)
Edit Reason: to embed link.

#90958 - 05/11/12 07:51 AM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
So that's on Thursday, 17 May, I'm guessing? I wonder if I can catch it on Hulu.com. I tried watching some previous episodes via their website, but I was either blocked from watching - because I'm outside of the USA - or because the video was down. Probably the former. I'll have to try my work-around and try again.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90960 - 05/11/12 11:38 AM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

The Madrid episode aired last night (May 10) and I watched it. It was a young American couple (not all househunters on the show are American, but most are) searching for lodging in Madrid. They wanted to rent and their budget was $1500. The real estate agent showed 3 properties: one in Lavapies, one in La Latina, and one in Cuatro Caminos. The Lavapies was the cheapest at $1300, The Latina was $1600 and I think the Cuatro Caminos was $1500. The husband worked north of the City Center, so they went with Cuatro Caminos which was a 15 minute commute. They negotiated the price down to $1200 per month because the apartment needed a lot of work. It was a 2 bedroom, although the second bedroom was a loft. It had a great terrace area. As always, they were thrilled with the result and it ended happily.

I'm looking forward to Marbella on Monday night.

#90963 - 05/11/12 04:35 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
I saw it last night. La Juliana lived near Cuatro Caminos and we recognized the corner. By the way, Cuatro Caminos actually has 5 roads!

#90964 - 05/11/12 06:00 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

DOH!! DARNIT!! I wouldn't warned my parents to watch, but thought it was on the 17th - next week!! ARGH!!!!

Good grief!! 1200 USD is equal to 929 Euros - in Lavapies. I'll guess they'll be moving soon. hehehehe..

Might be able to catch it on their website.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90972 - 05/12/12 06:37 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan,

Can you elaborate on your comment:

Good grief!! 1200 USD is equal to 929 Euros - in Lavapies. I'll guess they'll be moving soon. hehehehe..

They chose the Cuatro Caminos location for $1200. Is that better in Lavapies?

Gracias.

#90973 - 05/13/12 07:52 AM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hmm.. Let's see... DARE I elaborate.. THAT'S the question...

I, first, apologize as I misread your posting. I was thinking they'd chosen the flat in Lavapies when, in fact, they chose Cuatro Caminos. My mistake.

The one they considered in Lavapies, did it even have an elevator? 929 Euros there should get you something decent - in an otherwise crumbling Lavapies neighborhood. This is a part of Madrid which has one of the highest concentrations of buildings in desperate need of renovation, painting, and cleaning.

Depending on their level of patience and flexibility, most Americans can't stand city living - much less in a poorer section of town like Lavapies where there's a higher concentration of non-Spaniards, higher degree of crime (albeit non-violent crimes, mind you), and somewhat lower standards for cleanliness and privacy. If they're a young, liberal couple in their 20s or early 30s they may be okay there for awhile. This is definitely the "beatnik", bohemian part of Madrid and just about anything goes. A lot of people - SPANIARDS, mind you - go there to have drinks and tapas but many won't live there as it's just too rowdy. The lower section, near Embajadores, is MUCH better, though.

I would say that Cuatro Caminos is better in some respects but worse in others. It's further from the city center, that's for darn sure, so that's a negative. It's probably a bit safer and cleaner, too, definitely more modern - but not "modern", if you know what I mean, so that's a positive. Cuatro Caminos also has a significant non-Spaniard population, but not as high as in Lavapies, so this may be neither negative nor positive. If I was forced to choose one or the other, I'd probably choose Cuatro Caminos. But if I had other options, I'd consider them.

Their La Latina area consideration might have been good, but this can be a rowdy area too, around the Cava Baja, Cava Alta, lots of nightclubs, restaurants, bars and crowds there. Probably safer, but probably louder, too, at night. This is nice and close - actually IN - the old downtown. Of the three, I would probably consider the La Latina area first - assuming it wasn't located directly above or next to a bar, night club, or terraza, that is.

Saludos, MadridMan

#90974 - 05/13/12 04:54 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I actually dvr every episode of House Hunter International in hopes of them going to Spain once in a while. I watched the Madrid episode and was left dissapointed. First of all, the Lavapies flat was on the edge, we thought maybe more towards Embajadores or La Latina as it was bigger and newer and was very nice. I also liked the La Latina flat as well. I could not believe they chose the CC flat. It was ugly and way too small. Also, I would never live that far from the center. But that's my opinion.
Esposo and I love to watch the show and guess which one the couple eventually picks. This show is rigged as I know someone who was on it a long time ago. They had already bought the home, it was in escrow, but then was taped to look like they were hunting! Too funny.
One day I will be on it, looking for a retirement home somewhere in Spain!! LOL!

#90975 - 05/13/12 08:47 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

One of the odd things about the CC flat was the attic loft that they turned into a master bedroom. The husband couldn't even stand up straight in the room without hitting his head! I like the La Latina best too, but it was above their price range. Sometimes it is difficult to tell what the priority is for each person. It isn't always about the price. In this case, I think location and price did win out. Marbella tomorrow! Laduque, I hope to be right there with you looking for a retirement home!

#90976 - 05/14/12 03:00 AM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

LaDuque: "MYTH REVEALED!! HHI MYTH BUSTED!!" Hahhaa.. So the show's rigged. Now isn't that a disappointment/surprise. rolleyes Thanks for the insight.

Saludos, MadridMan

#91041 - 05/31/12 09:20 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Don't know how I missed this thread.
I could just copy and paste laduque's post. That say's it all for me too.

#91058 - 06/05/12 03:43 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

There were two more episodes of HouseHunters International this past week from Spain. The one I saw featured Madrid again. The neighborhoods were: Malasaña, near El Retiro and south of the city center. Again, it was interesting to see the offerings and the prices. The woman moving over had never been to Madrid before, but she decided to make a life change. She moved to teach English. How is that possible? Can Americans find English teaching jobs that easily? I thought that if someone else in the EU could do the job, they had priority over an American. If that's the case, I want to be an English teacher in Madrid, too! She had to find a roommate to afford the $1400/month rent.

#91059 - 06/05/12 04:28 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

I also watched that episode last night! They said it was Malasana but showed them exiting the metro Opera!I didn't follow wwhy she needed a roommate.............she could have found an apartment for just herself at half the price!
The apartment she settled on was yes at the very edge of El Retiro,close to Atocha, not a very interesting area, not at all convenient for transportation.
When it comes to Americans magically moving to Europe they never mention that there is a 90 day limit to stay legally.Also her teaching job would not pay even half of her rent!

#91062 - 06/05/12 04:51 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

These videos aren't from the one you're talking about, it seems, as they were posted to YouTube in January 2012.

Part One:

Part Two: (apparently not viewable outside of North America)

#91069 - 06/06/12 01:28 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

That show was broadcast a few months ago. What an adorable couple!

The second show this week was a music professor looking for a place in Valencia. He had a much larger budget ($2000/month) and it seems like Valencia properties might be more spacious. One of the flats he looked at had a huge terrace. He wanted to be in the old part of the city, so he chose a flat with a much smaller terrace.

Crisco: I don't understand how she was funding her experience. Did they mention it on the show or did it sound like her only job was teaching English? Maybe she saved up to make this move and was living off of savings in addition to her teaching job. A local teacher from my area is taking a teaching assignment in Spain. It is a one year contract. She told me that the program is for college graduates through 35 year olds. She will only be making 700 euros/month. It sounded like a perfect retirement job, but obviously, I wouldn't be able to retire and meet the age requirement of that program. Oh well. I am content to visit Spain as a tourist for the time being.

#91090 - 06/08/12 05:18 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

They never mentioned how she was supporting herself. She had to have savings. Also, I did not like her personality, good luck to her!

I loved the Valencia episode. The pisos were all wonderful and you could get more there. I would love to live there!!!1

Teachertraveler, I know what you mean, how did she get a job there? Where do I sign up, lol!!!!

#91666 - 11/03/12 12:40 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

teachertraveler8, I just watched the episode you mention above of House Hunters International focusing on Madrid, where an Atlanta, Georgia, USA resident, "Gina", pulls-up-stakes and moves to Spain's capital, seeking a rental property.

She, Gina, visits and considers three different 2-bedroom flats located in Malasaña, Arganzuela, and next to Retiro Park. She has a budget of $1,300/1,013€ per month.

I was watching and when she got to Madrid, meeting her American friend there, "Lisette", I said, "Hey! I know her!!" And I do! I know Lisette via Facebook. What a surprise that was!

http://www.hgtv.com/video/seeking-a-new-life-in-madrid-video/index.html (seems the embedded video below doesn't load for some reason so use the link above to watch the full episode - with commercials included).

#91670 - 11/05/12 02:05 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Hey, MM, that's cool. Maybe the next time you see or talk to "Lisette", ask her about how the show operates and we can get the real down low.!

#91671 - 11/05/12 04:40 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: laduque]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Second that suggestion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments