Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#91041 - 05/31/12 09:20 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Don't know how I missed this thread.
I could just copy and paste laduque's post. That say's it all for me too.

#91058 - 06/05/12 03:43 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
There were two more episodes of HouseHunters International this past week from Spain. The one I saw featured Madrid again. The neighborhoods were: Malasaña, near El Retiro and south of the city center. Again, it was interesting to see the offerings and the prices. The woman moving over had never been to Madrid before, but she decided to make a life change. She moved to teach English. How is that possible? Can Americans find English teaching jobs that easily? I thought that if someone else in the EU could do the job, they had priority over an American. If that's the case, I want to be an English teacher in Madrid, too! She had to find a roommate to afford the $1400/month rent.

#91059 - 06/05/12 04:28 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

I also watched that episode last night! They said it was Malasana but showed them exiting the metro Opera!I didn't follow wwhy she needed a roommate.............she could have found an apartment for just herself at half the price!
The apartment she settled on was yes at the very edge of El Retiro,close to Atocha, not a very interesting area, not at all convenient for transportation.
When it comes to Americans magically moving to Europe they never mention that there is a 90 day limit to stay legally.Also her teaching job would not pay even half of her rent!

#91062 - 06/05/12 04:51 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
These videos aren't from the one you're talking about, it seems, as they were posted to YouTube in January 2012.

Part One:

Part Two: (apparently not viewable outside of North America)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91069 - 06/06/12 01:28 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
That show was broadcast a few months ago. What an adorable couple!

The second show this week was a music professor looking for a place in Valencia. He had a much larger budget ($2000/month) and it seems like Valencia properties might be more spacious. One of the flats he looked at had a huge terrace. He wanted to be in the old part of the city, so he chose a flat with a much smaller terrace.

Crisco: I don't understand how she was funding her experience. Did they mention it on the show or did it sound like her only job was teaching English? Maybe she saved up to make this move and was living off of savings in addition to her teaching job. A local teacher from my area is taking a teaching assignment in Spain. It is a one year contract. She told me that the program is for college graduates through 35 year olds. She will only be making 700 euros/month. It sounded like a perfect retirement job, but obviously, I wouldn't be able to retire and meet the age requirement of that program. Oh well. I am content to visit Spain as a tourist for the time being.

#91090 - 06/08/12 05:18 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
They never mentioned how she was supporting herself. She had to have savings. Also, I did not like her personality, good luck to her!

I loved the Valencia episode. The pisos were all wonderful and you could get more there. I would love to live there!!!1

Teachertraveler, I know what you mean, how did she get a job there? Where do I sign up, lol!!!!

#91666 - 11/03/12 12:40 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
teachertraveler8, I just watched the episode you mention above of House Hunters International focusing on Madrid, where an Atlanta, Georgia, USA resident, "Gina", pulls-up-stakes and moves to Spain's capital, seeking a rental property.

She, Gina, visits and considers three different 2-bedroom flats located in Malasaña, Arganzuela, and next to Retiro Park. She has a budget of $1,300/1,013€ per month.

I was watching and when she got to Madrid, meeting her American friend there, "Lisette", I said, "Hey! I know her!!" And I do! I know Lisette via Facebook. What a surprise that was!

http://www.hgtv.com/video/seeking-a-new-life-in-madrid-video/index.html (seems the embedded video below doesn't load for some reason so use the link above to watch the full episode - with commercials included).

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91670 - 11/05/12 02:05 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hey, MM, that's cool. Maybe the next time you see or talk to "Lisette", ask her about how the show operates and we can get the real down low.!

#91671 - 11/05/12 04:40 PM Re: Madrid featured on House Hunters International [Re: laduque]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Second that suggestion!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments