MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90817 - 04/11/12 06:14 AM BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Latest Blog Entry: "BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation"

Starting 1 May 2012, end-users of Madrid's Public Transportation System will feel the sting of the sharpest price raises in 10-years. This raise takes place at the same time as the prices of gasoline, electricity and natural gas go up while salaries go down, are frozen or jobs are lost altogether.

End-users of public transportation currently pay 39% of Madrid's public transportation costs and the rest is was subsidized by the City and State. But due to Madrid's and Spain's transportation budget cuts for the city's transportation system, 11% and 26% respectively, a price "modification" has been called necessary and riders will now pay more of their fair share.
(Read on, McDuff...)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90818 - 04/11/12 07:23 AM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
If you had talk to finance/economist/accountant people of Spain, you will know the movida was long gone,now its reality check.
New adjustment that should had taken place years ago but its politically incorrect,now the EU is saying the movida is over get your house in order.

of course, the common people will pay most due to irresponsable Spanish governments of the past.
Cheers

ps I bet is not more expensive than in France ::)

#90819 - 04/11/12 07:25 AM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

I just check your blog, no its cheaper than France lol!!!

#90820 - 04/11/12 01:28 PM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: pedmar]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
It's still cheaper than in most U.S. cities. If I want to take the SD trolley (light rail system) it will cost me 5 dollars just to go 5 miles when I can get in my car cheaper. I do however, take the bus and metro all over Madrid. I will have to spend a little more money this summer. I'm sure that compared to northern Europe, it's still reasonable.

#90823 - 04/11/12 03:44 PM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This could be a nightmare for tourists only wanting to purchase single-use metro tickets. eek I'll still buy the 10-trip ticket and not worry about how many stations I'll pass. Ugh! rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90824 - 04/12/12 03:48 AM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: MadridMan]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Bus stop outside my house into bolton = £ 2.40 15min ride with traffic, catch a bus to manchester = £ 3.20 45min ride on a good day with traffic x 2 for a return trip = £ 11.20 and a good 2 1/2hrs travelling, train station 100yds from my house 20mins journey right into the heart of manchester = £ 4.90 RETURN, and very reliable, people just dont use buses much due to high cost and very unreliable and in traffic, the only time buses are full is after 9.30 a.m due to the free bus pass given to the over 65s the only great thing they have given pensioners in my opinion and now they are going to take that privalage off them!

#90827 - 04/12/12 10:14 AM Re: BIG Price Raise in Madrid Public Transportation [Re: billy the man]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

La Movida is over.....::)

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments