Latest Blog Entry: "Hearing Flamenco Music in my Madrid Neighborhood"

I’ve often been criticized for liking, even enjoying Flamenco music by my Spanish peers. “Only our grandmothers listened to flamenco music because that’s all there was!”, they’d say. Thusly, flamenco has been mostly shunned by popular Spanish culture – OUTSIDE of the gypsy community, that is.

Just today I was walking home from doing the shopping and heard one woman singing a "copla" while she, I'll presume, was making lunch or cleaning house. Another window was blaring pop-flamenco song from their home stereo. A car whizzed by with open windows, also blaring flamenco music from RadiOlé. And just now, a small group of girls, presumably gypsies, were clapping in unison, as "palmeras", under my window. It's also not at all unusual to hear a male voice singing flamenco in my neighborhood as he runs his errands.
(Read on, McDuff...)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog