Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91498 - 09/11/12 08:35 AM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I love cava and think that whilst champagne is excellent ( and i've tried bottles at €200 + ) .. champagne is overpriced . Unless you have a really professional palate you won't notice too much difference between a good cava and a moderate champagne . Much better value for money . Catalunya , for me produces the best .... Even cheapers cavas such as Freixnet are very acceptable and at about €6-8 ... great if your having a party .

#91502 - 09/11/12 01:51 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
no way i have taste them all, wine diplome in France and Spain with Gourmet club. You have to be into to tell the diff. Most people cant, cava to champagne , all else equal is worlds apart.

nOW for a buzz Freixenet(correct spelling) might be good lol!!!

#91504 - 09/11/12 04:00 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar ... for the ordinary man on the street the difference in taste between cava and champagne is difficult/almost impossible to discern . The difference they can see is that a bottle of OK cava will be €10 and a bottle of OK champagne will be €30 . We live in an age of austerity . I think cava is excellent value for money and that there is a lot of snobbery surrounding champagne .

#91505 - 09/11/12 04:34 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I think I've ONLY had REAL French Champagne - FROM Champagne, France - once in my life. That was a treat. But since it was only once, I can't remember how it was to compare it to Spanish/Catalán Cava. I'm happy with Cava, but am not a fan of the lower-end Freixenet cavas. I always have a headache afterwards from it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91506 - 09/12/12 05:52 AM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes Steve, there is a market for everyone at every level, but we aim higher.
You can't compare a chevy to a porche lol!! But both serve the purpose of moving you from A to B ::)

#91507 - 09/12/12 05:57 AM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

MM you should come more to Champagne, all else equal, price etc, there is no contest in the amount of bubbles and taste nuances.
Freixenet is one of the worlds top selling brand for its price and covering a large proportion of the population that can't afford a Krug ::)

But after spending all my life dragging wines, bubblies and others from my first as a college men in my father nightclub in NJ, and then working in the ABC stores in Florida, all in the wine sections, I can do tell the difference. And I started way back with lambrusco ,mateus, and mogen davids lol!!!

#91509 - 09/12/12 01:16 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Lambrusco ... Aaargh Horrible ... Too sweet . I have a friend who works for the wine and champagne business in Napa - California . He's president of the company ( A Quebecois ) ... I went to visit him in Napa with his beautiful wife and 3 daughters . He prefers French champagne , of course , but understands about Spanish cava . I had a great time with him and had a drunken bus journey back from Napa to San Francisco to my hotel ! : )) Good times . Never heard of Mogen Davids ! Will look it up .

#91510 - 09/12/12 02:40 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Mad dog 20 20 thats how its call the mogen davids ol'southern pride and good stuff for a buzz....
yes those were the days but then one grows and grows and now we aim higher for the .....afraid to tell
lol!!!

#91512 - 09/12/12 02:49 PM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Mad Dog 20-20, I KNOW what that is. hehehe.. It's a brand of cheap beer in the USA, the kind you'd buy in liter/42oz (I think) bottles.

I actually like Italian Lanbrusco! But yes, it is sweet. And it always gives me a headache afterwards. Must be for the bubbles. No sé.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91516 - 09/13/12 08:14 AM Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

hehehe yes those were the days of mad dog 20-20, knotty head, easy jesus, and great ABC rum and vocka.

(ABC is a chain of liquor stores in Florida that I work once while in college )!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments