Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9032 - 10/02/06 11:10 AM Hostals in Madrid
ArturoK Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
My wife and I will be arriving in Madrid at the end of Oct. '06, staying three nights. We are trying to decide which hostal and have narrowed our choices to: Hostal Lopez , Hostal Dulcinea , Hostal Cervelo . Comments will be appreciated. Thanks MadridMan for this web-site. Arturo K

#9033 - 10/02/06 12:08 PM Re: Hostals in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ArturoK, I'd recommend contacting all three of these ASAP to simply check availability. They're often booked on weekends for at least a month in advance but not sure when you'll be there.

I've stayed at all three of your aforementioned hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish/Spain). Hostal López and Hostal Dulcinea are located about one or two streets apart in the HUERTAS neighborhood (my favorite) and one is extremely similar to the other, both simple, clean, basic lodgings and kind owners. Hostal Cervelo is on the busier Calle de Atocha not far from the Plaza Benavente.

Regarding Hostal López, conduct a SEARCH to find dozens of reviews about them or consult their website or send them an email with specific questions.

Hostal Duclinea, I don't recall that they had an elevator so you'll likely have to walk upstairs to the reception room. Decent, clean rooms with simple furnishings too, television, small bathrooms like the rest, a very typical, old-style hostel. There too you may well have a balcony if you have street-facing room. They accept credit cards.

Hostal Cervelo is on Calle de Atocha and is more modern, the building has an elevator, the rooms have TV, wireless internet connections (with your laptop), telephone, and some decoration, air conditioning (which you won't need in October), a lock-box, and a small bathroom. They also accept credit cards.

Again, be sure to check availability for these three NOW. Good luck! Enjoy your visit to Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9034 - 10/02/06 01:27 PM Re: Hostals in Madrid
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
MM and Autoro K,

Hostal Dulcinea did have an elevator in 1999.

#9035 - 10/02/06 04:30 PM Re: Hostals in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks for that update, gazpacho! thumbsup

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9036 - 10/02/06 08:14 PM Re: Hostals in Madrid
ned Offline

Loc: USA
...ArturoK...if you are considering Hostal Cervelo you may like to consider Hostal Martin ...I think they are owned by the same person and are in the same building. I spent a couple of nights at Hostal Martin earlier this year and found it to be clean and simple. Only needed a place to put my head down!!

#9037 - 10/05/06 06:54 PM Re: Hostals in Madrid
ArturoK Offline

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
After reading your suggestions, I contacted all three Hostals, writing in Spanish, that I was intersted in and only Hostal Cervelo/Martin answered back. Unfortunately my message to Hostal Dulcinea was returned because of mail delivery problems, some error with the address. Hostal Lopez has not answered. I have tried again to contact Hostal Lopez and hope that they respond. We will arrive on Oct. 31 for sure, and maybe even a day earlier.
I tried checking for reviews as recommended, but did not have any luck. Thanks for your feedback.
ArturoK

#9038 - 10/06/06 03:35 AM Re: Hostals in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

ArturoK, you can find reviews about Hostal López (or any hostel) by searching using the following keywords: MADRID HOSTAL LOPEZ or with the accented ó as in Madrid Hostal López. I just conducted a search using these keywords and got 5 pages of threads mentioning the hostel and some thread containing reviews. Be sure you're searching ONLY the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum category.

Saludos, MadridMan

#9039 - 10/07/06 05:28 AM Re: Hostals in Madrid
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
My brother stayed at Hostal Persal and while it's only a 2 star it was very clean (nice than some 3 and 4 star hotels I've stayed at) and is a fabulour location. Only negative is that the street out front was being ripped up but that should be finished by now. Also it was a perfect location right between Sol and la latina. Couldn't have found a better location.

#9040 - 10/08/06 10:34 AM Re: Hostals in Madrid
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i have stay at hostal La Plata (web: http://www.hostal-laplata.com/ ) a bit away from your others but this is good: the link is here

http://www.hotel-restaurant-fr.com/Pays-autour-du-monde/hotels/Espagne/Madrid/enter.html
you can search others there with comments if you like

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments