Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90170 - 11/14/11 03:46 AM Christmas in Madrid
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
My best time of the year ,and when in Madrid wonderfully so with my traditions. The season starts at 18h Nov 25th with lights and decorations all over until January 6 2012; with not much new for economies most same as last year but a different motif than last year as well.

The hours will be from Nov 25 to December 23 from 18h to 22h Mondays thru Wednesdays. From 18h to 23h Thursdays,and Sundays as well as eves of holiday dates and on holidays dates until midnite the Fridays and Saturdays.

Dec 24th and Jan 5 from 18h to 03h

Dec 31th from 18h to 06h

Between Dec 25th and January 6th from 18h to 23h.

from Madrid ayuntamiento. Enjoy the holidays cheers early ::)
and you are welcome to put updates here of festivities or any news related to Christmas in Madrid.

#90179 - 11/15/11 08:24 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's interesting that they've published the hours during which the Christmas lights will be illuminated in Madrid.

Christmas IS a great time to be in Madrid and anywhere in Spain. I just love it. The density of people is greater downtown, the lines are longer, and it is harder getting a reservation at your favorite restaurant, but that goes with the season and I wouldn't have it any other way. Who doesn't love Christmas lights?! It seemed as though, last year, they were being a bit frugal with the number and size of Christmas lights they hung in Madrid so let's see what happens this year.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90183 - 11/15/11 08:48 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes no new stuff, same as last year just different design, motifs in the lights. cant be seen as big spenders nowdays hehehe

anyway its indeed a magical moment ,and I dont mind the crowds just this time of the year....the more the merrier, as in merry Christmas...

I guess Puerta del Sol will be wonderful again...

#90187 - 11/15/11 08:57 AM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Yeah , will be interesting to see what Madrid does considering the financial crises in Europe and the austerity measures implemented by the Spanish Government . In London , they say the lights are well below average in the centre .. They were turned on a week ago .. blamed on the crisis . HOWEVER , I would've though that for a , relatively , small amount of cash it would be better to make the christmas lights BETTER in all affected European cities to help lift the souls of the citizens .. To give them some happiness amongst all the problems .. In any one big city , such as Madrid , that would mean a few more hundreds of thousands of Euros . Central Government should be providing that money rather than leaving it to the ayuntamientos who have limited funds . This is a time to raise the spirits of the people , and what better way than to be able to see the lights with family and friends and to smile and laugh and forget the troubles for a while !

#90189 - 11/15/11 01:55 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

ayuntamientos in general in Spain are broked. the govt needs to bail them out... I know thats what I do, was just recently in Madrid with GM's and DF's and its getting to the point...well

I agree the extra effort to bring people out and happy during this special moment should have no price.

#90221 - 11/22/11 05:00 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This Madridiario.com article states the city will spend 11% less this year than originally budgeted on Christmas festivities, just a paltry 1.7 MILLION Euros total.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90223 - 11/22/11 08:36 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

Decorations were being put up 2 weeks ago!One side of El Corte Ingles was already decorated and Huertas had the huge leaves from previous years hanging across the street! Not lit yet,thank goodness!

#90232 - 11/26/11 12:44 PM Re: Christmas in Madrid [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

great, they can start saving afterward. then they will have a great job at doing it. FOr now, let the seasons be merry,cheers
and Merry Christmas to all ::)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments