Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90155 - 11/08/11 07:31 AM Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Imagine my surprise when I looked up from my cereal and coffee to see a close-up of American talk-show host Matt Lauer sitting on the bench surrounding a light pole in Madrid's Plaza Mayor!

Matt Lauer is one of the hosts of the morning talk-show, the "Today" show, on NBC in the USA. Every year he travels the world introducing a new new location to his audience, always giving "teasers" as to his location, but gives the answer at the beginning of the show. From 7-9am Eastern USA today, he talks about his location in throughout the 2-hour program. Today is Day 2 of his annual "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" show. Yesterday, Day 1, he was in Namibia and today, Day 2, he's in Madrid!

They started today's show with flamenco dancers in the Plaza Mayor and says, later, they'll tour the Duquesa de Alba's palace.

ANOTHER UPDATE: See today's 7-part segment in Madrid HERE (scroll down from the link to find all 7):

BELOW is the first of 7-segments when his location is revealed:

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90157 - 11/08/11 11:53 AM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I was watching! I also solved the riddle before they revealed the answer as to where he was.

Don Pardo might say it is a "Pin in earth in the blue sea" it's cup runneth over, high in the sky, where the best things can be free.

A It's cup runneth over-World Cup
B High in the sky-Highest elevation capital city in Europa
c Best things are free-Tapas
d I think Pin in the Earth....is an anagram for the Iberian Peninsula

I must say that it wasn't just the clue that helped me solve it. I recognized the monument in Plaza Mayor he was sitting on. I've sat there at least 30 times over the last seven years.

If I can find some video on my end I'll be happy to post them.

Good job MM! Hope to see you there soon!

Edited by Rodolfo (11/08/11 01:44 PM)

#90158 - 11/08/11 12:05 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: Rodolfo]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

One question MM: What are you doing watching The Today Show and how is that even an option for you?

#90159 - 11/08/11 03:17 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: Rodolfo]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
great MM post the video , i missed it, was work traveling to paris

#90160 - 11/08/11 03:19 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: Rodolfo]
Crisco Offline

There's a clip on the NBC website but I don't know how to link/paste it here!I wouldn't have known that was Matt Lauer even if I was standing next to him!
i did take a photo of the NBC van parked next to the Mercado San Miguel-just looked so strange to see that NBC logo in Madrid!

#90161 - 11/08/11 04:24 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

See the "Where in the World is Matt Lauer" - IN MADRID - HERE (scroll down from the link to find all 7 videos).

BELOW is the first of 7-segments when his location is revealed:

I watched it live because... drum-roll-please.... I'm in the USA visiting family and friends.

Rudolfo, I didn't get the clues either.

Saludos, MadridMan

Edited by MadridMan (11/11/11 04:50 PM)
Edit Reason: modify video links.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90162 - 11/08/11 06:05 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Oh, you miss understood my friend, I did get the clues but when I saw him sitting there, it cinched it for me.

#90164 - 11/11/11 04:59 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: Rodolfo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

If anyone else couldn't view the videos after the first one (embedded above) see THIS LINK to automatically take you to the 1st of 8-videos. Then scroll down the left side of that page for the following 7-videos. I'll embed all 8, now, below:

Video 1:

Video 2:

Video 3:

Video 4:

Video 5:

Video 6:

Video 7:

Video 8 (last one):

#90165 - 11/11/11 06:30 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thank you MM for turning me on to the show as I taped it so I could watch later!!! I think he did a very good job for Madrid! Many people here only know of Barcelona and to see Matt Lauer in and around the places I love made me even more "homesick".
Anyway, was that Andres in Mercado de San Miguel the Andres that used to be on this board?

#90166 - 11/11/11 09:43 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

laduque, did you meet Andrés Jarabo at one of the very early "Party with MadridMan" gatherings? If not, yes, that was him. He hasn't been on the message board for a long time. I was watching the show online and recognized him immediately, saying an audible, "OH MY GOD!" upon seeing him. He did quite well under the pressure of live TV! Probably better than I would have. I had to curse my unlucky stars for NBC not contacting ME in Madrid - even though I'm not in Madrid this month. huh

Saludos, MadridMan

#90167 - 11/12/11 01:49 AM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hubby and I were talking and wished it had been you there. Matt Lauer kept cutting Andres off when Andres was trying to give interesting information on the cuisine of Spain. I thought he did a good job though.
Have a good time Stateside!!!

#90168 - 11/12/11 08:34 PM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I agree! (about Matt cutting Andres off) I especially disliked how Matt was trying to compare Serrano ham with US ham by asking, "Isn't it saltier than the ham in the US?" Did Matt Lauer even try the Spanish ham? Overall, I enjoyed it very much, too, though.

#90177 - 11/15/11 08:19 AM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yeah, it seemed as if they were rushing through the "market" and didn't have time for much detail, at east not as much as Andrés was offering. I spoke with Andrés via email and he was thrilled, understandably, with the opportunity.

So the annual "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" segment is over on the Today show. Until next year!

Saludos, MadridMan

#90188 - 11/15/11 08:58 AM Re: Madrid: Where in the World is Matt Lauer? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I did finally saw the film on CNBC, and yes very nice. However on the food/ham question, well they never learned ,can tell you many stories
but do you have tacos in Spain?
cheers

ps MM need to do more educational pieces hehehehe!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3047 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments