Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90086 - 10/11/11 08:06 PM Madrid or Seville for New Year's Eve?
MikeK Offline

My wife and I are planning a trip to Madrid and Seville after Christmas into early January. I have been to both but its been a decade (been going to Barcelona more as I have friends there).

Does anyone have a strong preference regarding which city would be best for New Year's eve? We are looking for some type of outdoors gathering, less interested in just dining/drinking.

Due to airfare discounts, we might be flying out of Madrid at 6 AM making me lean toward starting in Madrid then going to Seville then staying the last night at an airport hotel in order to get to the airport by 4AM. I assume we could get a taxi but are hotel shuttles common?

Thanks

Mike

#90092 - 10/13/11 03:25 AM Re: Madrid or Seville for New Year's Eve? [Re: MikeK]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you get a taxi with advance reservation from your hotel, and there is a shuttel but not taken it in years...aerocity.
New years is great at both cities, but I always will lean towards Madrid ::)

#90109 - 10/18/11 02:35 PM Re: Madrid or Seville for New Year's Eve? [Re: pedmar]
MikeK Offline

Thanks...How much do Seville and Madrid close down between Christmas and New Years? I usually travel earlier in December and have only been in Europe a couple times during Christmas week so I know a lot of restaurants, shops etc might be closed.

#90113 - 10/19/11 04:14 AM Re: Madrid or Seville for New Year's Eve? [Re: MikeK]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Sevilla a bit more than Madrid, but in general its Dec 24th when we have the late night dinner with families and shops start closing from midday, then the 25th is close.
New years, some shops closed earlier on the 31th to allow folks to partake infestivities, and the 1st is closed.
Lately there have been more opening because of the modern times and necessary,but still most will close on those days.
Spain follow those periods a lot more traditional then many in Europe.

#90138 - 10/27/11 07:04 AM Re: Madrid or Seville for New Year's Eve? [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello, MikeK! How is your planning going for Seville and Madrid? Keep in mind that "Epiphany" - or "Magic Kings Day" on the 6th of January is THE BIG DAY for "Christmas" in Spain. All days leading up to it are BUZZINGLY BUSY! The 2012 New Years Day falls on a Sunday so most all shops will be closed anyway being Sunday. You won't have any trouble finding restaurants/bars open, however, in the tourist centers on New Years Day, Sunday or otherwise. As for New Years Eve, being on a Saturday night, many shops will close early as few people are out shopping - except at the markets to get last-minute food-stuffs for the big family dinner.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2636 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments