MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90049 - 09/29/11 06:28 AM Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Latest Blog Entry: "Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy"

The other day I had the pleasure of renewing my nearly-expired US Passport at the US Embassy in Madrid on Calle Serrano, 75. And it REALLY was a pleasure! I was surprised how fast, easy, and efficient it was. I’m talking about the passport renewal application process, that is. Now let’s see if it reaches me in a timely fashion.

I first went to the US Embassy’s Website for Passports and Visas. There, you read information about your case in renewing your passport or applying for a new or lost passport. If you answer “yes” to all their questions, you can either download & mail your passport renewal application or you can download, fill-in, and take your application to the US Embassy. Since I was in the hurry, I chose the latter – but not without a bit of confusion. Figures, right?
(Read on, McDuff...)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90052 - 09/30/11 11:07 AM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Hey MM

That might have been my aunt you were dealing with at the embassy. Do you remember her name?

She is Spanish born and bred but she married my uncle, a US citizen, former US Air Force. They both work at the Embassy as does my cousin, their daughter.

PS

The security check point is no joke huh?

#90053 - 09/30/11 12:39 PM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: Rodolfo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

No, sorry, I don't recall her name. She was blond-ish, however, and maybe about 60-65 years old, I'd say. Does she work that part of the embassy, dealing with the public?

The security check-point was no joke, no, but it was also very casual. I mean, the guard was very very friendly, had to give me a wand-scan because something on my person (maybe that plate in my head wink ) set off the walk-through metal detector twice. I guess it might have been more challenging had I not known (enough) Spanish.

I had a couple personal contacts at the US Embassy but they've both moved on to other assignments. That's good for them, but it was also very convenient for me to be able to email them directly and get back quick answers. My first contact even gave me a bit of a tour of the innards of the place.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90055 - 09/30/11 01:56 PM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Blond-ish, 60-65, sure sounds like her!

She deals with Americans and their passport needs.

Security kind of freaked out when my wife and I went to the embassy 7 years ago. No one had ever come for a visit. We took them by surprise.

#90056 - 10/01/11 09:37 AM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: Rodolfo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Must be her, then. That's really something! She was very nice and efficient. Glad you liked your tour of the US Embassy. I guess that's not something they allow for just anyone off the street. laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

#90057 - 10/03/11 09:39 AM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Well, Rodolfo, it would seem that the woman which helped me at the US Embassy was not your aunt. "Pilar" just called me from the US Embassy to tell me my passport was on its way, arriving either today or tomorrow. Wow! That's a 2-week turn-around! Amazine!

While I had Pilar on the phone I asked her if she had a nephew in California, told her the whole story, but she did not. She even went so far as to ask some of her nearby workmates and no one seemed to know who it might have been. So sorry!

Saludos, MadridMan

#90058 - 10/03/11 12:43 PM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: MadridMan]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Well what do you know. Thanks for the follow-up. My Aunts name is Christina/Maritina.

I'm glad to hear they were so efficient.

#90061 - 10/04/11 09:51 AM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: Rodolfo]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Perhaps the Passport renewal office is becoming more efficient. Some of us just renewed passports and we got them back in just about 2 weeks. (Here in the US) Ready to go to Madrid now!

#90062 - 10/04/11 12:34 PM Re: Passport Renewal at Madrid’s US Embassy [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Got my passport today!!!! They called 30 minutes before to be sure I'd be home (imagine that!) and even called last night at about 9pm to see if I'd be home to receive in the (this) morning. Had to pay 10 Euros to receive it, but fine. As for the passport itself, it seems sturdier, harder, but maybe just because it's new. Also, the photo is not inside the front cover like on my old one, but after the first page. The new passpord doesn't have gridded horizontal/vertical lines in which the passport control agents give you the local stamp. Instead, each page has an "American scene" with no lines - just stamp wherever, I guess. Finally, I swear they've elongated my head just a bit on the photo. I look like an egg-head, tall and thin cranium.

Pilar, at the US Embassy, told me on the phone the other day that they were trying to be more efficient. She even told me in an email that she had read my blog about my experience and thanked me for my kind words. I have to wonder if that helped to speed things along - or also maybe that my former US Embassy contact in Madrid (now back at "base camp" in Washington D.C.) had emailed her about me because I was asking him questions about the renewal process.

Regardless, I have it in-hand and it's good for another 10-years. Yippee!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2698 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments