Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89343 - 03/27/11 08:37 AM Planning another sojourn to Northern Spain
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I'm in the planning stages of another sojourn to Spain. This time I'd like to concentrate on the northern portion. In particular, areas around Rias Baixas, Santiago, along the northern coast, and over to Pamplona are of interest.

Any recommendations for sights, activities, and so forth would be much appreciated.

Bon dia from Aruba.

#89345 - 03/27/11 03:02 PM Re: Planning another sojourn to Northern Spain [Re: admiral44]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
You will love the Rías Baixas!
You should go to Las Islas Cíes (you can take a boat from Vigo). It is spectacular! Also, going to Finisterre is wonderful! The town of Cambados (famous for their horreos) is a must-see too! I love the city of Pontevedra too, as a place to walk around and visit the old section. I assume you will go to Santiago! It is an amazing city to visit! (remember the fiestas are July 25 there!) and as you go north to Las Rías Altas I can recommend the towns of Malpica and Camariñas (especially if you like to see the artisans at work making the lace (encaje de bolillos) there. The Roman lighthouse in A Coruña is worth a visit too. Then there is the town of Betanzos near there that I especially love~ As you can see, there are so many nice towns in GALICIA!! This is where my family is from, so if you have any other questions, ask away and I will try to help! Enjoy planning!!

#89346 - 03/28/11 07:31 AM Re: Planning another sojourn to Northern Spain [Re: esperanza]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Esperanza,

Thanks for the leads! I've been mapping out the route and am axious to check out the places you mentioned.

From Aruba...

#89348 - 03/28/11 09:24 AM Re: Planning another sojourn to Northern Spain [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I second Rias Baixas and if you go really north around the area of Xove from Ribadeo to El Ferrol along the coast is magical. I visit old friends in Xove, wonderful place. Very naturally Galician and unspoil.

#89403 - 04/06/11 09:43 AM Re: Planning another sojourn to Northern Spain [Re: pedmar]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
If someone asked me what are my the top five highlights from all the places I visited all the trips to Spain, one of those five will always be when I was in Santiago de Compostela watching the botafumeiro swinging from left side then the right side of the cathedral.

It dangerous as you can hear the ropes strain from the weight of the botafumeiro. You are watching a tradition as this has been done for centuries. It is exciting to watch and as a catholic I would say our masses are not exciting to watch. Another thing that is missed by many is watching the law of physics at work as one man in a red robe, grabs the botafumeiro as it coming speeding towards the alter. To me it looked like a robe man trying to grab a moving truck. The robed man and botafumeiro start swinging in a fast moving circle that slows down as the botafumeiro sheds it energy (speed) each time they go around in a circle until they stop completely.

Another thing I enjoy about Santiago de Compostela is watching the pilgrims finally arrive at their goal in front of the huge Cathedral. Each pilgrim had their own way to celebrate the achievement. Some cried, some prayed. Some made photo calls. Some took photos of themselves standing in from of the cathedral. Some just sat and stared at the cathedral in their own thoughts long time.

Compostela is a wonderful place to visit. But watching the botafumeiro was the cherry on top of that visit and me watching it was an accident. But that is another story, maybe I even posted here on MM a few years ago?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments