Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#89362 - 03/30/11 07:21 AM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally Posted By steve robinson
Friends of mine marched in Madrid against the plans for El Vaticano 2 .
This was finally voted down. No Mini-Vaticano in Madrid, it seems.
Originally Posted By steve robinson
MM , you'll have to help me out with the name of the restaurant nearby where a group of us had a memorable meal . The restaurant was packed and there were about 8-10 of us and we were lucky to get a table . We ordered , amongst other things , La Matanza de Cerdo .. very traditional ... you need a very good appetite for this hearty and delicious dish .
I'll never forget that Matanza de Cerdo you ordered, Steve. Wow. MY cholesterol shot up just looking at it!! But it did look delicious! The name of the bar/restaurant was Restaurante Bar Los Ángeles (they have a website!! - but with very little info or pictures) on the Calle del Ángel, 8. This is totally a "local" bar/restaurant - no tourists found here in this part of Madrid just above the San Francisco El Grande Church.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89364 - 03/30/11 07:33 AM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Here's another suggestion for central Madrid Bars. Can't get any more central than this one. It's called the Bar La Ideal just off the southeast corner of the Plaza Mayor. It's a tiny place and fills up fast at lunchtime. They specialize on cheap-and-good Bocadillos de Calamares as well as their Patatas Bravas. Yums. This too is a place where, surprisingly enough for its location, you find very few tourists inside - maybe because its long, narrow, and usually crowded. Wait staff is all Spanish and the few small tables line right right side of the aisle.

Yeah, that's me in the red shirt sitting on the left in the right-side photo - eating my DELICIOUS fried squid sandwich. Yum!!! It's good Steve took this picture when he did as no 15 minutes later the place was full.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89368 - 03/30/11 08:47 AM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Excellent! I really appreciate everyone's feedback - and keep the special places coming!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

#89383 - 03/31/11 03:58 PM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: Puna]
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
I like the Dali´s room in Museo Reina Sofia ;Museo Sorolla at Calle General Martinez Campos and Plaza de Puerta de Moros .

#89386 - 03/31/11 05:32 PM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: natasha 109]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
What I love about Madrid is the diversity of the city’s architecture. It is old. It is modern. It is art deco and so on making it fun to photograph for me. But it's not only the building themselves are interesting to photograph but the building exteriors too, with small fine details on them that most people miss as they walk by. I remember afternoon in Madrid spending time looking and photographing roof tops. Some of the building had interesting chimneys and some are capped statues. I really do not why someone why put a status so way high because people walking on the streets could not see the details in the status.

Then there are the streets, the way they flow too. Not like straight grid where blocks are rectangles which is boring. Some street I walked flow like a stream or river, flowing to the left or right with little balls on both side lining the route. At the end this street I would be greeted with an interesting statue to photograph. Many times walking along the streets of Madrid was rewarded with a tapas bars with their rich decoration to photograph or photographing a local interacting with their lovely city.

I can say there is beautiful artwork in the Prado Museum. I can also say there is beautiful artwork in the streets of Madrid too. It just a different type of art I am see! wink

#89389 - 04/01/11 07:10 AM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: Bill from NYC]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Bill, you just vocalized my version of the real beauty of Madrid!

#89398 - 04/04/11 03:33 PM Re: What are you most favorite things about Madrid? [Re: Puna]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I agree, Puna. Bill, you are so right!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments