Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#89096 - 02/11/11 06:17 AM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England . [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
thanks for the updates, it looks glorious. Las Ventas is whre used to lived know it very well that area. there Los Timbales or Docamar are great places.

#89106 - 02/12/11 07:14 AM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Steve is "up-in-the-air" as I write this, on his way to London Gatwick airport.

I picked Steve up at his flat this morning before 9am. He was noticeably and understandably emotional, closing his flat's door behind him for the last time, closing another chapter of his life, and moving on to the next one.

We had a coffee together at Madrid Barajas Airport after he checked his suitcase because he had two hours to kill before his flight. We talked, mainly about the usual things of life, observations.

Before finishing our coffee and realizing our time was short, I felt compelled to thank him for his friendship and company during these past 5-years. Steve, you were/are a good friend. For me, Madrid and Steve go together like peas & carrots. wink

You'll be missed, Steve. But I'm looking forward to visiting you in your Gingerbread farmhouse in southern England. Take care, buddy.

Sadly, MadridMan frown frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89108 - 02/12/11 11:40 AM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I was happy to receive Steve's call about an hour ago. He was on the train from London Gatwick to southern England and sounded much more relaxed.

I'd spent the morning's return from Barajas Airport, detouring with a long walk through Old Madrid, contemplating our 5-year friendship and it seemed with every turn and every plaza I remembered being there with Steve at some point. It was a hard, yet therapeutic walk and did me good. But enough about me...

Steve will spend the rest of today alone at home - which maybe is a good thing - but don't expect to find him online just yet. Maybe tomorrow, though. His belongings, all 16 boxes (is that right, Steve??), won't arrive for another few weeks.

Steve, we'd/I'd be interested to know which was your moving company, their website address, and (if you'd care to share it) how much they charged you. Others in the future might benefit from your experience.

Saludos, MadridMan (much calmer now) smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89111 - 02/12/11 08:02 PM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thank you for the update MM! Glad to hear Steve made it home safe and sound...Steve, if you read this, we miss you already!!!!

#89113 - 02/13/11 09:23 AM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: laduque]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the news update MM. Its a new start I am sure will be handle well by Steve. And he will be back as well as meeting somewhere else too.
Cheers

#89140 - 02/19/11 02:57 PM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

It does seem that Steve is spending more time doing work around the house and less time online. That's a shame for us but good for him. He mentioned that he was sore after toting a few "cords" of wood from the wood pile outdoors to the wood pile indoors. This change in lifestyle will get that guy in shape quick! thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

#89159 - 02/22/11 09:01 AM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Ok , well the 20 boxes ( more than I'd originally thought ) turned up at 10 am this morning on a grey misty day here in the East Sussex countryside . The company had originally suggested they would be delivered between 2 and 4 weeks of pick up and this was 3 weeks so it was a good deal . 3 guys turned up , an older guy , typical East End London with gold earrings , and 2 younger guys , one covered in tatoos . They were polite , friendly and efficient . All of the boxes have been stored in the garage but , as this is the countryside , things such as clothes and linen have to be brought inside as the mice knaw through the boxes . We put poison down but there's no way you can ever eradicate those little pests !
So .... in order to get to some of my boxes with the clothes I spent the morning rearranging the boxes .. It's back-breaking work ... especially the many boxes full of books !I can't wait for the time I can get out all the wonderful books , Cds and DVD's ( some of which are now discontinued ) that I´ve collected over 5 years in Madrid !
Next job is to find space for my ridiculous amount of clothes , now piled up high on my bed .
Then we'll be using our tractor to take the remaining boxes .. back-breaking again ! .. down to the stables where all my stuff that I left when I travelled to Madrid is stored .
I would say that this was my last link to Madrid , but I still have many friends to keep contact with , will definitely be visiting time and time again , and will continue to be a regular contributor to madridman.com .
The company I used is called "Pickfords" .. probably one of the most established moving companies in the world . Indeed , my brother used them when he moved nearly 17 years ago from England to Russia .

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/ this is the link to the UK operation but in Madrid the guys that came over to assess and to remove my stuff work for a company called "Allied Bolliger" www.bolliger.net ... The companies are part of an alliance . The company in Madrid was excellent !

At 20 boxes mine was a relatively small move and I chose the "shared" option , meaning that your boxes would be packed with other people´s .. The truck went from Madrid , through France ( picking other things up ) before it arrived in the UK . However the van that arrived here this morning was entirely my things , and then the guys went off to another job . That cost me about €1000 . Not cheap , but worth it and only one month's rent on my apartment for me .

saludos ..... Estebán .

Seems the link to the Spanish removal people is under construction . Their address is : Sierra de Guadarrama 30 , 28830 San Fernando de Henares , Madrid . Tel : 91 563 28 87 .

#89165 - 02/22/11 05:04 PM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

all part of the Allied moving network.Good deal, glad it turn out alright.
I am sure it is very nostalgic to go thru all that...and glad you are sticking around MM. Cheers

#89168 - 02/22/11 08:02 PM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: MadridMan]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Wow! What an awesome thread!, solemn too.

Never met the guy but I sure hope that it all goes well.

I was in MadriZ the summer of 2006 and I remember inquiring about the dates/location for the get together back then,,, weird feeling to see that I could have been on the pic at the beginning of this very same thread,,, and have met some of you.

Good luck!

#89385 - 03/31/11 05:07 PM Re: Moving from Madrid back to England [Re: Yankaluz]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City

Fanastic story and it many ways moving too. It feels like the history of MM website. People come. People go. People share their stories and opinions. People become friends from this website too.

But everything is connected to one thing, Spain.

Bill

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments