Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#88927 - 01/19/11 12:35 PM Semana Santa in Sevilla
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am returning to Spain for Semana Santa in Sevilla. I will be there most of the week seeing the processions and collecting photos and stories for my classes.

Does anyone have any advice for the Semana Santa traveler? I would like to take one day and go to Cordoba to see the Mezquita.

Thanks!

#88929 - 01/19/11 03:48 PM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: teachertraveler8]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Have you booked a place to stay yet? If not - do so NOW and expect to pay much more than normal .....

#88930 - 01/19/11 03:51 PM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: Puna]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Yes, I booked in June and it is very expensive. Can I expect the prices on other things (like food and drink) to also be higher?

#88931 - 01/20/11 06:15 AM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I don´t think that food and drink will be any more expensive .. there will still be the options of the Menú del Día . I´ve only ever been to Sevilla twice and I have to say that the restaurants and bars were more expensive , in general , than Madrid .. which seems crazy . The same for Bilbao and Donostia-San Sebastián .. much more expensive than Madrid .
Make sure you go to La Basílica de la Macarena , La Macarena is the patroness of bullfighters . It´s very beautiful inside . Almost no tourists seem to go there . Our hotel was just across the road and my deeply Catholic friend took me there .
Whilst I´m not religious at all , I can appreciate the beauty of these churches and cathedrals .
The other thing is don´t just stick to the central side of the river . Cross one of the bridges and find a terrace or restaurant in an area called Triana . Great photo opportunies across the river .. and very good food ! This is a wealthy "barrio" of Sevilla , hence the great restaurants and bars by the river . Steve .

#88934 - 01/20/11 09:00 AM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
During Semana Santa all goes up, its the biggest event of the year there for years;a very nice tradition. The best places to see the procession is by ave de la Constitucion and Banco de España
this site will tell you more and can be change to English on the above right UK flag
http://www.semana-santa-sevilla.com/
Hope it helps

#88936 - 01/20/11 11:04 AM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Absolutely cross the river to Triana - totally different than Sevilla and you will love it! I happened into La Basílica de la Macarena and was as impressed as Steve - truly beautiful.

And take lots of photos to post smile

#88943 - 01/21/11 03:44 PM Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla [Re: Puna]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
A good link Semana Santa in Sevilla,Pedmar
for me, the most impressive. was in Semana santa,La Granja San Indefonso "Segovia"
my son, me, and my wife was very impressed ..... Still, I remember it was amazing.
Never, I'm back there
,maybe one day go back!I thought I was in middle age.

Edited by MadridMan (01/21/11 06:49 PM)
Edit Reason: to embed the YouTube video. You can do this too using the "Switch to full reply screen" button below the text editor. Please do, in fact, as it'll save me work.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2458 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments