MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#88861 - 01/06/11 12:47 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: teachertraveler8]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
who are the inspectors?public employees What if the bar owner smokes? For the smoker penalty of 30 euros. Only if a repeat offender (three times, enter into the consideration of severe financial penalty of between 601-10000 Euros).

For the bar punishment is considered severe, as the article says, 19.3. b "Allowing smoking in places where there is prohibition, or outside the areas provided for that purpose. "
The penalty will be severe the bar economic sanctions between EUR 601-10000€ and very serious from 10000€ to 600000€...LOL grin

One last question/comment. I recall the "smoking booths" at Barajas with the open ceiling. It didn't matter that they were sequestered. You could still smell the smoke. Have those been eliminated at the airport? Yes... laugh

#88862 - 01/06/11 06:13 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
The inspectors are government employees. The smoking booths in Barajas, which I saw as recently as December, will surely be closed. Won't they??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88889 - 01/11/11 01:12 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: MadridMan]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Just saw a funny bit on Gente on rTVe in which a bar owner is now using the old ashtrays for tapas serving plates. LOL, the bartender bought up a bunch of ashtrays and then was showing how convenient the grooves (for resting your cigarette) makes a nice spoon holder!!!

#88890 - 01/11/11 03:46 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: laduque]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
The smoking booths at Barajas , I think , will be kept open because it reduces the risk of someone smoking on a flight ( in the toilet for example ) . But I was watching on TV that there are many bars and restaurants that will be rebelling against this European decision . It´ll be interesting to see how those that smoke the big cigars at the bullfight will react .
The European parliament is bullying other countries and Spain is the latest victim .

#88894 - 01/11/11 04:51 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: steve robinson]
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Happy new year to everyone to all Madridman friends and readers!

I can't believe it, people are respecting this ban. I was expecting people not to obey the new law, at least at pubs or nightclubs.
Last friday I went out in Madrid center, the city was crowded as usual. Wow! incredible! there was not smoke anywhere, at tapas bars or pubs. For me it was wonderful that I could breath fresh air while listening to live music with a pint in my hand. In addition, when I came home my clothes didn't smell of tobaco it used to, nice.
I agree with the others that it's a law too radical, problably there should be a third way, but in fact the past law allowed small bars to choose being smoking or not smoking, while big ones must had separated areas. The result, the vast majority of small bars chose to be smoking, at nightclubs with separated areas nobody respected the restrictions and smoke was everywhere, and finally only a few restaurants were smoke free. A pity, things shouldn't be like this.

Considering that two thirds of Spanish population don't smoke, probably bars will get a lot of new clients who never visited them, and be sure, smokers will complain a lot but they'll keep going to the bars.

Edited by Valenciano_en_Madrid (01/11/11 04:55 PM)

#88896 - 01/11/11 10:52 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: Valenciano_en_Madrid]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
Im looking forward to coming over and be able to goto the bars with out coming out stinking of smoke. To hell with peoples liberties im selfish!!!
The igars will still be allowed to smoke at the bullfight Steve, its only covered rings that they are not allowed to smoke.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments