Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#88745 - 12/06/10 04:44 AM Darts in Spain
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
An intersting point was put to me the other day,Spain beat England at darts in some world championships,they were beaten in the semi final by Holland,now darts is massive in Britain and quite a lot of European countries,but i personally have never seen a dart board in bars in Spain,im wondering if this is an up and coming sport in Spain or is it well established,as my mate said "Great beaten by Spain,didnt even know they played darts there"

#88746 - 12/06/10 07:03 AM Re: Darts in Spain [Re: billy the man]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've never seen anyone playing darts in Spain either. Surely they have dart boards in some of the Irish Pubs but couldn't say if Spaniards use them because I tend to avoid Irish Pubs.

In the USA, darts had different periods of popularity, one of the latest being in the 1970s-1980s but not sure if it had another resurgence since then.

Popularity of these things tend to be cyclical. Spain's national champion in "bowling" (Spanish-style, outdoors in sand/earth in the rectangular "bolera") is in his early 20s. This is now ONLY played the old, retired men. While many take/took it seriously, it was almost more of a social game like playing cards (like "El Mus") at the local bar.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88747 - 12/06/10 07:10 AM Re: Darts in Spain [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Darts is used in special pool establishement sort of like clubs, you need to be in the IN crowd to know. My family in Madrid some of the younger ones are or were ultras of Real Madrid and they do go to these bars/hangout places.
For instance one that is ok good enough for me to go in is
Coppola at Marques de Lema, 7, in Chamberí ,the area of Vallehermoso.
They also have pool,and futbolin (little football table players)
hope it helps

#88749 - 12/07/10 07:52 AM Re: Darts in Spain [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
There is a place called "Shooters" . Gran Vía 31 .. It´s an American style pool hall . I´ve only been a couple of times but it was good .. ( Metro Gran Vía of course ! ) They have 9 pool tables and a dart board ... It´s sort of a cross between an American and an Irish bar

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments