Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88562 - 11/05/10 06:24 PM Ebooks
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Just wondering about items like a Kindles or Nooks being used in Spain/Europe in general. If you buy one in the USA, it seems like a multi step process to buy a ebook outside the USA. I think it is ok to read if you already have made the purchase.

Is there a similar product in Spain? What is it called and what price is it selling for and what prices are the ebooks?

Thanks!

#88565 - 11/06/10 05:41 AM Re: Ebooks [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Forgive my ignorance about about Kindles but don't you download eBooks directly through the Kindle itself via a wi-fi internet connection? Can you only order from (regional) factory-installed merchants, depending on where you buy the Kindle??

I've seen a 2 or 3 people using eBook readers (of some kind or another) on the metro but not many. Do you now see them everywhere in the USA now?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88570 - 11/06/10 08:49 AM Re: Ebooks [Re: MadridMan]
jacmom Offline

I'm still learning about the ebooks. I think Kindle books have to be downloaded from Amazon.com with WIFI and Nook books come from Barnes and Noble Bookstores also through WIFI. The Nook allows downloads from the public libraries also, but I'm not yet sure about the Kindle.

I think there are some issues of different copywrite laws with different countries that enter into being able to download in Spain, etc when the device is bought and registered in the US. I'm not clear yet on all this. I hope to get to the stores soon to look into this better. Sometimes the online blogs etc get a bit confusing because as soon as you think you understand what is involved, you realize the info was from a year ago and changes have been made!

I have been seeing more and more of the ebook readers. They are lightweight, the books are less expensive (many books @ $25 are around $10 as an ebook). Many books that are the public domain are free, ie., the complete works of Shakespeare or Jane Austen are free on Nook. A friend has the Nookand gave me that info. Kindle also has free books, but I don't know anyone with one so I don't have an example to give.

It sounds like this could be a great thing for the travel, too, as you could download a guide book or 2 and just carry it in your handbag (or man bag).

#88572 - 11/06/10 04:14 PM Re: Ebooks [Re: jacmom]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I would love to get a Kindle! Please keep us posted on this. I am a library girl, but for travel, it would be a great thing.

#88573 - 11/06/10 05:10 PM Re: Ebooks [Re: teachertraveler8]
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
Amazon now has a new Kindle with Global 3G coverage for $189. They say that you can get books with wireless coverage in over 100 countries including Spain.

I haven't gotten one yet but will probably get one soon. Maybe for Christmas.

#88574 - 11/06/10 05:37 PM Re: Ebooks [Re: Arturo]
jacmom Offline

Yes, I am looking at it as a Christmas gift. Hopefully I coan get over to Best Buy or target soon and get more info. Will have to check their knowledge, if it is + or -! hehe

#88575 - 11/06/10 05:48 PM Re: Ebooks [Re: jacmom]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
I've been using the kindle for several years now. I have downloaded books directly and through my home computer. For travel, it is excellent. You can tote literally hundreds of books for those multiple long flights, train rides or waits in the queue at the stations.

Plus, ebooks save trees.

#88576 - 11/07/10 03:02 AM Re: Ebooks [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
My mother has been using Kindle for a while now and has downloaded about 40 books onto it and plenty more space to go . She has it here with her in Moscow and she loves it . She´s an avid reader and this has saved on a lot of luggage space and weight . It's top of my brother´s christmas list to Santa Claus !

#88579 - 11/08/10 06:26 PM Re: Ebooks [Re: steve robinson]
jacmom Offline

I think the saving space and weight will be wonderful. What I am concerned about is being able to purchase ebooks while in another country and the costs associated with the purchase while overseas. Steve, how much does it cost your mother for most books and has she made a purchase while in Moscow or other countries? Has the cost been the same whether she is in England or Moscow?

Same for you 44, have you made a purchase while in Spain or elsewhere? If you have, is the cost different than your purchases while in the USa>

It may be that Juliana gets a Kindle because Amazon is worldwide. But it limits her to only buying through Amazon, is that correct?

I do know that Nooks can access libraries if you have a card to that particular library. I don't think you can do that with Kindle, does anyone know?

And to add a third one to the mix, has anyone used the Sony Reader?

Sorry for so many questions, but since Juliana might be staying in Spain, even after she graduates, I would like to choose the one that would best fit her over there.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

#88585 - 11/09/10 08:45 AM Re: Ebooks [Re: jacmom]
listener042 Offline

Loc: Istanbul, Turkey
wouldn't an ipad be better? You get the reader and so much more.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments