MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88850 - 01/05/11 03:11 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Look ' a bar is where you go to drink and smoke . If you donīt like that then go somewhere else . If you donīt believe in God then don't go to a church . If you don't like the bullfight then don 't go to the bullring . If you donīt like sushi or sashimi then don't go to a Japanese restaurant . Itī's a question of choice and it's a shame that governments basically restrict freedom .

#88851 - 01/05/11 04:26 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: steve robinson]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Originally Posted By steve robinson
Look ' a bar is where you go to drink and smoke . If you donīt like that then go somewhere else . If you donīt believe in God then don't go to a church . If you don't like the bullfight then don 't go to the bullring . If you donīt like sushi or sashimi then don't go to a Japanese restaurant . Itī's a question of choice and it's a shame that governments basically restrict freedom .

#88852 - 01/05/11 04:29 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: jazz]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
WOW!!I'm four days without smoking..
and agree with you,
it's a shame that governments basically restrict freedom .

#88853 - 01/05/11 06:19 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! Congratulations, jazz!!! thumbsup

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88854 - 01/05/11 06:27 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Good for you Jazz - hang in there!!!!!!
Then maybe I'll try to quit .... once again

#88855 - 01/06/11 03:42 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
The BBC have been reporting about this smoking ban in Spain and that already there has been a "peopleīs rebellion" against the ban . I knew that the Spanish would not accept this lightly .
Puna and Pedmar it would be good to stop smoking for ever . My father died a year and a half ago from cancer of the throat ... he was a heavy smoker .. my mother only started smoking aged 32 .. After my father died she stopped smoking out of respect for my dad . She hasn't had a cigarette since .

#88857 - 01/06/11 08:13 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I saw on TV one bar which was NOT observing the smoking ban on the second day because they lost too much money on the first day of the ban. We also saw in the same report the inspectors issuing fines to the bar owner.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88858 - 01/06/11 08:46 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
it will have some getting used to ,the same in other countries like France, but then again all or generally all will follow the law.
You have a choice to go or not to go, but there will be all smoking restaurant/clubs like they have here, and you can smoke because everybody in the place smokes ::)
cheers

#88859 - 01/06/11 08:53 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
There was an article on BBC online yesterday about some bar in Marbella where the owner (a non-smoker)has a sign in the front window of the establishment reading "it was a private business; they would remain a smoking establishment and it none of the government's business". Seems the place was jammed - JAMMED - with people more in defiance than for the desire to smoke aver a vino. (Mostly Brits BTW - but it is in Marbella)

Steve - you are so right! And good for your Mom.

Edited by Puna (01/06/11 08:56 AM)

#88860 - 01/06/11 11:40 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: Puna]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am curious, who are the inspectors? What if the bar owner smokes? There are an awful lot of bars and restaurants in Spain. How often are they being checked? Do you think that the smokers will win out or be defeated?

One last question/comment. I recall the "smoking booths" at Barajas with the open ceiling. It didn't matter that they were sequestered. You could still smell the smoke. Have those been eliminated at the airport?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments