MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88485 - 10/22/10 03:48 PM New Smoking Ban
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
What has been the reaction in Spain to the newly passed smoking ban going into effect in January?

#88487 - 10/22/10 05:29 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sure, everyone's talking about it. This could affect like half the Spanish population! I'm not a fan of it myself, a non-smoker, but sometimes extreme measures are taken in order to (better) comply with the European Union's wishes. I guess I'll get used to being in a bar/restaurant in Spain and NOT having smokers around me - but it won't be the same. For me at least, smoking is part of what makes Spain Spain. Call me crazy, but that's how I feel.

Smokers tell me, "How can I enjoy coffee/beer and NOT smoke??? That's TOTALLY incongruent!" I read that "smokers clubs" are scheduled to open shortly after the 2 January 2011 ban - but those same clubs are not permitted to serve food OR alcohol. Odd. NOR can smokers smoke withing X-meters of an outdoor playground. That's just too much.

But at least people incarcerated will still be able to smoke in the jails. Who cares about the guards/staff/other-jailbirds, right?

I plan to blog a soliloquy on this very topic in the coming weeks. You've stolen my thunder, teachertraveler8! hehehehe...

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88489 - 10/22/10 05:38 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
No, I haven't stolen your thunder, I've set the stage for you. Now we are eagerly anticipating your blog!!

#88491 - 10/22/10 05:41 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hehehehe... Thanks for the support! I know several Spanish smokers here in Madrid so you can be sure I'll demonstrate BOTH sides of the story. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88496 - 10/23/10 01:25 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Do you really think it will be inforceable? - and is there such a word?
Can only imagine how the cafe and bar owners are taking this - anticipating there profit margin going up in smoke - and no pun intended!

Edited by Puna (10/23/10 01:27 PM)

#88499 - 10/23/10 02:14 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: Puna]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
fantastic law!!, I've been a smoker,ex-smoker, and now I'm a smoker smoker smoker...,maybe, I'm an EX-SMOKER january 2....I hope?????

#88500 - 10/23/10 03:04 PM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: jazz]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
the smoking ban has been in force for 2yrs here in England,and there was massive up roars at first with people saying they will never ban them,a few tried but got fined or thrown out of the pub/restaurant,after a few months it all died down and people accepted it,and now it is the norm,it has hit the trade with people not going out,but with the price of beer in pubs people now go to the supermarket for cheap beer and stay in,so its difficult to judge if smoking has hit as hard as publicans say it has,but it is funny going past pubs and seeing everyone smoking and getting cold and wet.

#88504 - 10/24/10 09:40 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: billy the man]
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
As a smoker myself (trying to quit but with beer and coffee its hard hehe), I think its a good idea to enforce it strongly. I remember I went into a bar in Malaga and the smoke was overwhelming, this coming from a smoker of 8 years.

Whether Spain can keep enforce it or take on the manana attitude with this law is still to be seen.

#88826 - 01/02/11 06:42 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: JeanSP]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Today, first day in prohibited smoking..Are we lepers smokers?? I think so!Congrat to the waiters, an opportunity for stop smoking xfingers

#88840 - 01/04/11 11:00 AM Re: New Smoking Ban [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Great news indeed for me non smoker. Finally Spain caught on ::)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments