Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88346 - 10/06/10 04:08 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: Silver Traveler]
nay Offline

Loc: USA
Does anyone have a list of hotels near where the bus will stop at city centre? Or could you suggest a site that will let me select a very specific zone? I don't speak spanish and alittle apprehensive about navigating to the hotel, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#88356 - 10/07/10 03:53 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: nay]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Welcome to our little ALL SPAIN Message Board, nay!! wave

The only 2 "Old" downtown stops are at Plaza de Cibeles and at Glorieta de Carlos V (a.k.a. Plaza de Atocha) at the Atocha Train Station.

There really aren't many hotels all that near to Cibeles but there are more around Atocha. What's your price range? Around that latter you have lots of "hostales" but also some hotels within walking distance.

But don't worry. Once we know how much you're hoping to spend we can help guide you there. And you can also take a virtual stroll from point A) to point B) using Google Maps Street View.

Also, if you're getting off the end-point of the shuttle bus at Atocha, you can catch the metro there and 3 stops later (on the same Line 1) you're in Madrid's Puerta del Sol where you have dozens of lodging possibilities at all price points.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88359 - 10/07/10 05:05 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: MadridMan]
nay Offline

Ok...took a risk and used priceline and won Westin Madrid Palace. Considering I have to manage my luggage by myself is it managable to take the express bus and from the last Atocha stop find the hotel? Also if you have any suggestions on breakfast suggestions, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

#88365 - 10/09/10 04:13 AM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: nay]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The Hotel Palace is on the Plaza de Neptuno (though officially called Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo). From Atocha to Plaza de Neptuno is about 700 meters.

From Plaza de la Cibeles - the second to last stop - to Plaza de Neptuno is only about 500 meters. Would you feel comfortable walking these distances with luggage? You wouldn't be the only one on the sidewalk lugging his luggage, I assure you, but the sidewalk is not all that wide going down/up Paseo del Prado to the hotel.

Upon returning from your trip, would you please come back here to this/your thread and be the first to review the new airport bus service?

There are plenty of bars around for breakfast. I beg you to avoid the Starbucks next to the hotel.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88368 - 10/09/10 10:30 AM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: MadridMan]
nay Offline

Thank you so much for your help, I would probably prefer to walk just the 500 meters with the luggage, do you have a street address for the cibeles bus stop so I can input that into google maps? I think I would be more apprehensive of getting in a cab alone than walking from the bus stop. My son (who is studying abroad) is meeting me at the hotel,so after arriving there I won't have to worry about navigating by myself. I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home. I will certainly post my experience using the express bus when I return.

#88369 - 10/09/10 12:00 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: nay]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Originally Posted By nay
I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home.
THERE you go. THAT'S what I like to hear.

Regarding the bus-stop location at Cibeles, the truth is, I don't know yet since no one's taken this bus yet. I can only guess it's either on the north or western side of the plaza as it has to continue down the Paseo del Prado towards Atocha.

Same goes for the stop at Atocha, the plaza is so big, like Cibeles, that I don't know yet where they might stop. THAT'S why your review is so important (!!) and will be enlightening for us all.

Happy Travels! Saludos, MadridMan smile

#88371 - 10/09/10 04:26 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Nay , you just made my evening ! Say no to Starbucks , McDonalds and Burger King ...all of which are popular with the young guys here . It´sa real shame . Enjoy great Spanish coffee and great Spanish food !

#88378 - 10/11/10 09:41 AM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
"I will definately not choose starbucks, I don't like it here in the USA, too many new things to try in Madrid to resort to something I can experience at home. I will certainly post my experience using the express bus when I return."

I agree, good for you, enjoy Madrid as natural as it is.

#88379 - 10/11/10 12:19 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: pedmar]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
nay, I caught that you used Priceline for your hotel, did you book your flight that way also? I have used them for hotels, but not yet for flights. Have a good trip - when do you go?

#88447 - 10/20/10 02:07 PM Re: Madrid: New airport bus service [Re: jacmom]
nay Offline

Jacmom...I used skymiles for my airline ticket, I have never purchased airfare using priceline. This was my first international hotel purchase using them but I got 50% lower than the best rate I had found on multiple travel websites so I was pleased. I did go to another message board that gave me tips on how to bid!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3000 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments