Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88419 - 10/16/10 04:26 PM Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities?
scungilli Offline

Hello,
I've already searched the forum for free wifi places in Madrid, but I would like to know if anybody has found a free wifi site that has enough bandwith that would allow one (ok, me) to Skype with somebody else? I recently lost my ADSL connection. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edited by MadridMan (10/16/10 05:05 PM)
Edit Reason: to include city locator in subject line.

#88432 - 10/18/10 05:59 PM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: scungilli]
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madrid's City Council provides free wifi at Plaza de Santo Domingo and, recently, at Plaza Mayor in the city centre. I can't tell you about the speed / quality of the connection but you just can try it.

Also available at Municipal libraries, some traditional markets and a few other offices.

#88435 - 10/19/10 06:07 AM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: Antonio]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
and in Starbucks on Gran Vía

#88443 - 10/19/10 09:22 AM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: sallyanne]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Does anyone know if all the Starbucks in Madrid have free wifi?
Daughter only has it at school, not at home. She did go to a locotorio (sp?) during Aug., when school was closed, but would rather have a cup and relax. Plus, sometimes she would get someone really loud next to her and we would end having to type rather than talk.

#88444 - 10/19/10 11:07 AM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: jacmom]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Ohhhhhh please don´t go to Starbucks !! I beg of you !! Why not try going to Chueca where they have various bars that offer free wi-fi including the Mexican restaurants in Calle Augusto Figueroa . Try "sabor a mi " ( No. 41 ) .. Great nachos !

#88445 - 10/19/10 02:59 PM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: steve robinson]
scungilli Offline

Thanks ,everybody, for the suggestions.

#88446 - 10/19/10 05:39 PM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: scungilli]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
I understand about Starbucks, but the nearest metro stop is Metropolitaino or Guzman el Beuno, so Cheuca is not that close.

#88449 - 10/20/10 04:32 PM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: jacmom]
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Today a new wifi spot was inaugurated by the city council at Plaza de Olavide.

Check out the following map for the full list of places

#88458 - 10/21/10 11:06 AM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: Antonio]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Antonio, I read about just that in today's "20 Minutos" (free daily paper). In that article they say a comprehensive list FREE WI-FI hotspots in Madrid can be found at http://www.madridtecnologia.es/ . I plan to write a blog post about this in the coming days as it's a pretty big development. Actually, now that I look over that website, they simply show a link to a Google Maps page - the same one Antonio lists above - showing the locations of Free WiFi hotspots in Madrid. MOST OF THEM, mind you, are government installations and classrooms, libraries too. But a lot of them, including ALL(??) the markets have free Wi-Fi. More and more news kiosks also offer free Wi-Fi.

But on that list, the 3 outdoor locations for free WiFi are the Plaza de Olavide, Plaza Mayor, and the Plaza de Santo Domingo.

I'm going to check out these last three in the coming week to see what hoops (registration?) we have to jump through, if any, to log on freely.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88467 - 10/21/10 06:59 PM Re: Madrid: free wifi and Skype capabilities? [Re: MadridMan]
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

MadrdMan, you revealed the "secret". The map link I posted was from MadridTecnologia site whistle

Note that kiosks are offering free wifi provided by a private company. As far as I know, it's only a promotional campaign and it won't remain free for a long time.

Free wifi at the rest of the places is provided by the city council. As for the markets, I think it's a project. Not all of the markets have it already.

By the way Plaza Mayor has an average of 125 users / day and it was "launched" a few weeks ago.

As for the free wifi at the public buses, I read it has a content filter preventing users from connecting to certain websites. I heard P2P and VoIP (e.g. Skype) doesn't work on that connections at buses.

Anyway, you can always use it for free if you sleep in certain hostels... whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments