MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#17278 - 06/05/07 09:36 AM Alicante streetcar
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
hi all
just got back from Benidorm, and the weather was great. Just to let you know if you are planning to go there, to watch out for the train from Alicante to Denia railway,as was pointed out on another subject they are doing a lot of work (i think making it into a double track railway)on the line. From Benidorm to Alicante the train was 30mins late, on the way back you change at El Campello to catch the fast train back. This train never arrived due to the work, so we had to catch a taxi back costing 40 euros. At this time of the year it is not to busy, but as the weeks go by it will be heaving (english word for very busy)the journey is beautiful going through the mountains and following the coastline, but as ive said beware your train may not turn up so consequently the train following will now be twice as full
but dont let me put you off

#17279 - 06/05/07 05:35 PM Re: Alicante streetcar
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks for that update, billy the man. I remember seeing the tram station in Alicante City and thought it to be a GREAT idea to go as far as Dénia (I believe). Too bad it didn't go all the way to Benidorm. I took the bus from Alicante City to Benidorm a few months ago and it was fine, took about an hour or 1.5 hours, comfortable, clean, and CHEAP - but someone did try to steal my laptop computer bag in the Alicante City bus station's restroom - but that can happen anywhere.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17280 - 06/06/07 03:56 AM Re: Alicante streetcar
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
The narrow gauge train from Alicante to Denia existed from decades ago, with intermediate stops at Campello, Vilajoiosa, Benidorm, and Altea, among others.

In the last 10-15 years, the line is being restructured. It has been enlarged underground through downtown with two intermediate stations at MARQ (Archaeological Museum) and Mercat Central (Market). The opening of this work was a few weeks ago. It is planned to keep extending in that direction until reaching the Main Train Station, with an intermediate stop at Plaza Luceros. That are the works/plans Alicantebound.

In the other direction, the line was electrified and converted to double track from Alicante to Campello, and built a new branch to Cabo de Huertas, and it is served by train-tram vehicles, making it kind of a Metro service. The plans are to electrify and duplicate tracks from Campello up to Altea, and create an inner-Benidorm branch to serve the city.

More info at http://www.fgvalicante.com/tram/html/home/home.asp (English version not available yet)

#88352 - 10/07/10 10:53 AM Re: Alicante streetcar [Re: Torrales]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
Just an update from 3yrs ago, Just been to Benidorm and went to Alicante on the train,it is now straight through with no train changes at EL Campello, lovely brand new trains take you all the way from Alicante to Denia a journey of around 2 1/2hrs through the country side. The journey from Benidorm to Alicante is around 1hr 15mins and cost the pricely sum of 5 euros 50 return,great value, most people land at the Alicante airport and miss this place whilst moving on to other parts, but its a beautiful harbour and prom and well worth a visit

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2732 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments