Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86732 - 03/07/10 01:56 PM Old People Walk Slow
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
"Old People Walk Slow"

The old phrase holds true, "God love 'em." And I do too, that's the fact, so my patience-level is generally high when I encounter them on the sidewalks and standing in lines. There's no denying it, old people walk slow. But then again, they're never in a hurry, either.

Here in Spain you can't help but notice the quantity of octogenarians walking the streets, playing cards in bars, going shopping and out-in-the-public. This sharply contrasts to the older folk in the United States where older people, and many others, 1) live in houses outside of the downtown, and 2) don't leave home as often because to do so they'd have to drive - and maybe they can't/shouldn't. (Read more...)

Edited by MadridMan (10/04/10 04:42 AM)
Edit Reason: updated blog URL

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86734 - 03/07/10 03:30 PM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: MadridMan]
PADM Offline

Loc: Madrid
Try to get a bus at noon...your patience level won't resist it.

#86736 - 03/07/10 05:04 PM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: PADM]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
You are a gem, MM!! I loved your blog about old people. You are so special to give that old woman some of your time each week. What a better place the world would be if we treated others with the same kind of care. You are an inspiration to us all!

#88195 - 09/10/10 10:36 AM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Originally posted by: Silver Traveler

Just made it to the blog page - usually just on the message board to get the news...and found Old People Walk Slow, March, 2010...a great article :-) :-)

Not as old as those in the people, but I do stop to smell the roses and look for a park bench more than I did in the past.. Everyone should read this!!

#88196 - 09/10/10 10:55 AM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I just got back from Chueca and I have to say my patience was tested by slow mowing older people . But also ladies from the Carribean Latino countries .... No hurry whatsover which is a GOOD thing except if you´re behind them .
I plonk myself down at a table in Chueca and sit for an hour or so with a drink .

#88197 - 09/10/10 12:12 PM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Old people are special, old we will get there too. I am patient with them, and learn a lot too.

#88202 - 09/11/10 06:38 AM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I agree Pedmar . My patience is not great at the best of times but I learnt a lot from my grandparents ( all of them have passed away ) . They told me about the war , living in London , about my family history ... stories that were fascinating . My grandmother taught me about plants and trees . She also told me about her life in the 1920s . I love talking to the older generation and , for me it´s a shame , that´s there´s not more interaction between young and old people . For example , it would be great for school children to listen to the stories .
My Spanish is far from perfect , but I remember sitting in a bar ( Cervecería el Barrio ) in my district of Manuel Becerra with a friend from Euskadi .. An older gentleman , impeccably dressed in a suit , was at the bar and told us stories of the Spanish civil war , and how he´d met Russian soldiers that were so friendly . It was fascinating .

#88203 - 09/11/10 09:07 AM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I learn a lot from my gone grandparents about civil wars, and living under authoritarian/totalitarian regimes, and how to fight back. It made me a better person. Now, one of my joys is to go out with my father in paris looking for Spanish chorizo ::)
He walks slow, sometimes tells me to slow down walking,and I do. to me it feels great. Its a cycle of life, and its precious for the time you have them.
cheers

#88237 - 09/15/10 09:27 AM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: steve robinson]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Originally Posted By steve robinson
... I remember sitting in a bar ( Cervecería el Barrio ) in my district of Manuel Becerra with a friend from Euskadi .. An older gentleman , impeccably dressed in a suit , was at the bar and told us stories of the Spanish civil war , and how he´d met Russian soldiers that were so friendly . It was fascinating.

I see a throwback to Arabic roots: story telling is often a way of passing along History (sometimes embellished) from an older generation. The 'older gentleman' you reference was telling you stories about Madrid 'under Siege,' things I learned from my wife's family.
I am 79, on the verge of being an octogenarian: wife's family included an Ayuntamiento de Madrid Attorney, very Pro Franco; and closer relatives with whom she lived who were 'rojos.' So, I heard both sides of that story.

#88311 - 09/30/10 11:26 PM Re: Old People Walk Slow [Re: Eddie]
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
I am a coach operator-aka bus driver here in Orange County. My work is hectic and I'm constantly on the go in keeping up with my schedules. But when it comes the the elderly things slow down considerably. Most take their time in boarding which is fine by me. They're mostly friendly and always say hello or goodbye. They are my favorite passengers and I take great care that they don't fall as they board or exit my vehicle. Sometimes you need lots of patients but I stop and think that this could be my mother boarding.

My mom is 92 years old and still going strong even after hip replacement surgery early this year and two bouts of pneumonia last year! She is an inspiration to me and my family and the stories she tells of her life and of my uncles and grandparents are true treasures. I've taken to writing them down and passing them on to my sons in order for them to remember them and carry on the memory of their relatives.

Edited by OsoMajor (09/30/10 11:28 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments